Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2004 9-5

Recommendation for replacement resonator (Starla, Bosal other?)

There is a crack on the pipe out of the back of the resonator on my 2004 9-5 Arc.
    The exhaust system seems to be one piece but according to Saab EPC the exhaust system can be bought in pieces.
    The local muffler shop will install a user provided resonator.
    In my searches, I've found aftermarket by Starla, Bosal.

My questions are: how good are these?
    how close to oem are they in terms of noise?
    longevity?
    What are they made out of? Any suggestions for other mfg products? (I basically want an OEM replacement in fit and function - not interested in high performance systems)

The one on the car is original and lasted through 15 north western PA winters. I dont need one that lasts that long but 6-7 years would be fine.
    Thanks for any guidance/suggestions
    -J

Saab(s)
    2004 9-5
    Quote Originally Posted by three_jeeps View Post
    There is a crack on the pipe out of the back of the resonator on my 2004 9-5 Arc.
    The exhaust system seems to be one piece but according to Saab EPC the exhaust system can be bought in pieces.
    The local muffler shop will install a user provided resonator.
    In my searches, I've found aftermarket by Starla, Bosal.

My questions are: how good are these?
    how close to oem are they in terms of noise?
    longevity?
    What are they made out of? Any suggestions for other mfg products? (I basically want an OEM replacement in fit and function - not interested in high performance systems)

The one on the car is original and lasted through 15 north western PA winters. I dont need one that lasts that long but 6-7 years would be fine.
    Thanks for any guidance/suggestions
    -J

Bump, Bump, Bump....
    Hello, anyone listening??

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Basically its just another muffler and a cheap round glass pack will work. No need for pricy name brands, pipes can be cut, pipe parts can be replaced and clamped or welded in. Walker is a good part and IPC is a good price, both are readily available to your local muffler shop.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by three_jeeps View Post
    Bump, Bump, Bump....
    Hello, anyone listening??

One of your problems may be that very few other users call any part of an exhaust system a "resonator", even though that may be the technically correct term. As I am sure you are aware EPC calls the middle box a "silencer", not to be confused with the back box which is also described as a "silencer".

Exhaust systems last as long as they do for a very simple reason, that catalytic converter means the exhaust is much less acidic that it was pre-cat so any box will last a good long time. As Digger says, any box that you can get hold of that fits should do the job, just remember to replace the rubber mountings (P/N 90466668) at the same time as they have probably stretched.

Saab(s)
    2004 9-5
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
    One of your problems may be that very few other users call any part of an exhaust system a "resonator", even though that may be the technically correct term. As I am sure you are aware EPC calls the middle box a "silencer", not to be confused with the back box which is also described as a "silencer".

Exhaust systems last as long as they do for a very simple reason, that catalytic converter means the exhaust is much less acidic that it was pre-cat so any box will last a good long time. As Digger says, any box that you can get hold of that fits should do the job, just remember to replace the rubber mountings (P/N 90466668) at the same time as they have probably stretched.
    Thanks to both of you for feedback.
    The local muffler shops quoted $500-$800 USD to replace the 'silencer'/resonator. That is way to much. They charge labor at $110/hr...The starla silencer + hangers is $200 USD and even at $200 labor is less than the replacements they looked up.
    From what I read, hard to tell if walker makes starla or visa versa but generally ppl equate the quality as the same.
    Thanks agan
    J

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Believe it or not this is an easy DIY job and even easier to make than it is to replace with factory part. Find a center in center out, not to fat or long good flowing oval shape or round muffler and have at it. If the part you can get isn't long enough add the right size pipe extension, if its a bit to long shorten the pipe.

Or you can use a direct fit part like https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ust+&+emission and to make life a bit easier get a $10 harbor freight tail pipe expander and at the very least a small MAP gas or better yet a small oxy act torch at the local home store.

Either way you will need to raise the car, cut the old part off with a recip saw or torch, slide the new part on and clamp it in place.