Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    900 NG 1994 2.3

Saab 900 weird issues

Hi everyone !

I have had my 1994 Saab (2.3l) for the last 7 years with absolutely no issue, but its first problem might be the last, as my mechanic is about to give up... it only has 170k and I don't want to abandon it !
    here is what happens : at some random moments (whatever the engine temperature) I get "holes" in the acceleration, and it begins to slow down, until it eventually stops. I start the car again : all good until the next random stumble and die pattern.
    Now I found the workaround but it's pretty dangerous : I turn the key off then back again while driving, after the first acceleration "hole" and there she goes again ! I get all sorts of orange engine lights blinking, sometimes but not all the time.
    I bought the same car with the same engine so my mechanic can use it as an organ donor, and he has changed a lot but he is now about to give up.

has anybody seen this kind of behavior before ?

thanks in advance for your help !

Laurent

Derek
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '97 900S; 2004 9-3 Vector; 2001 Viggen
    No... that sounds like a fuel problem though. Have you checked the fuel filter? Is your "mechanic" able to do some proper diagnostics? Any update since you posted?

Derek

Saab(s)
    900 NG 1994 2.3
    Hi Derek,

thanks for your reply
    Well my mechanic is about to swap the fuel injectors now, last option before sale...
    I guess he checked the fuel filter ? he even emptied the tank, swapped the fuel gauge (who apparently comes with a pump) no change...
    my feeling about this is that it looks like an electronic/computer issue, my consumption is now displayed either --- or 99,99l/100kms !!

Laurent

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    The fuel consumption display certainly indicates some kind of electronic / computer issue, but your initial problem description and operation after attempts to repair suggest a partially plugged catalytic converter. Europe went catalytic a couple of decades after the US and if your car is new enough to have one, check that before you give up on the car.

Derek
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '97 900S; 2004 9-3 Vector; 2001 Viggen
    Quote Originally Posted by lrebut View Post
    Hi Derek,

thanks for your reply
    Well my mechanic is about to swap the fuel injectors now, last option before sale...
    I guess he checked the fuel filter ? he even emptied the tank, swapped the fuel gauge (who apparently comes with a pump) no change...
    my feeling about this is that it looks like an electronic/computer issue, my consumption is now displayed either --- or 99,99l/100kms !!

Laurent
    I'd be very hesitant about swapping out injectors unless your mechanic can back this up with some proper diagnostics. It seems that many mechanics are just parts changers who don't have the time or skills for proper diagnostics. Perhaps, work with the wiring diagram and you could check the connections and ground points for the injectors and Oxygen (lambda) sensor. I have a '97 900 that is misfiring but only after warming up, so I'm going to look at similar issues in the next couple of weeks. If it's a computer problem, then you could buy a used replacement on eBay. Consider swapping the one from your other car first to see if this solves it first.
    If you are suspecting a plugged catalyst, I'd look at the southmain auto repair channel on youtube. there is an eposide where he goes through a thorough analysis to determine that a vehicle had a plugged catalyst. (I'd expect that your car wouldn't make power when first started up if this were the case.)
    Do keep us posted on what transpires next and Happy Holidays.
    Derek

Saab(s)
    900 NG 1994 2.3
    Thank you all for your help !
    unfortunately, I gave up and bought another car... My mechanic still have the 2 saabs, and hopefully I can sell the lot one day, when are not confined anymore