Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 9-5 Aero Sportcombi

Rattling in the sunroof trim, and a tech tip!

Still learning all the quirks of this car. When at idle in drive with the brakes on, the engine vibrates pretty good inside the cabin. It makes the sunroof interior trim rattle. Has anyone combat this? I haven't explored engine mounts yet, but the bottom one on the drivers side looks squeaky clean and new. Is this trim bolted in somewhere?

Also for my tech tip of the day (which ties into this thread). Hot glue. I forgot all about this magical stuff lately. Anywhere you think super glue could be used, hot glue is better solution. Hard vacuum lines snapped? Hot glue. Works well to hold things in place, and a big enough glob does act like rubber if you do it right to make your own isolation-bushing (for you stereo people that like to thump).

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Engine vibration while idling in drive is common for the 9-5 with the 2.3 engine. Saab changed from a long belt with center pulley to a short belt eliminating the center pulley for a few model years. But that also caused an increase of engine vibration.

Your 2007 should have the long belt from the factory but it is not uncommon long belts were replaced with short belts. More info here:

http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?p=1794
    http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=712

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Sounds like you are having some fun getting the wagon ready for the road and sharing a useful tip in the process. A hot glue gun is a darn useful tool for inside the car and a good short term, get you going again patch for a broken hard vacuum line under the hood. Better long patch for broken hard vac line is rejoining the hard line with soft rubber line as engine heat softens hot glue and it doesn't last long under the hood of a turbo. Hot glue will snug up your sunroof trim if your loose sun roof trim.

With 4 cyl front wheel drive cars some engine vibration is always felt in gear at idle with the brakes applied, some cars more than others. More than normal vibration without rough idle could be engine, tranny, or cradle mounts.

Saw your post where you broke the expensive Saab part vacuum check valve and I didn't have time to reply at the time. Just a tip on getting Saab parts. All manufacturers are using "catalog parts" and none of them reinvent the tire. GM owned Saab when your car was built and Chevy parts cost less than Saab parts. The Saab is a very affordable car to drive if you don't pay extra for the Saab part number when a part with a GM or Delco number will do. And don't overlook the Dorman HELP parts that from the local parts store, the Dorman 47170 check valve is almost always available and I have never seen one hanging on the rack with the other help parts. It's not as hardy as the check valve you broke and it won't last as long, but it's also a fraction of the price.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 9-5 Aero Sportcombi
    I saw a whole setup on eeuroparts for $20. All the lines included. So I snagged it. So far the superglue is holding up, at least I don’t have any drivability issues yet.