Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon

Fog lights wire harness

1999 9-5 wagon...
    Still working on fixing up this beauty. Obviously the previous owner had some front end damage. Both fog lights are missing but had been there at one point as the areas of the fog lights that bolt to the bumper are still there. I have found 1 passenger side fog light and I'm still looking for a driver side one. However, they obviously cut the wire harness for the fog lights as well as the washer lines leaning to the headlight washers. I've been doing some searching and I think it would just be easier to just add the wiring that I need and tap into the harness near where they were cut but I can't seem to find good information or better yet, a schematic. I do see that each fog light consists of 2 bulbs and I wonder if they have their own wires (4 to each side) or if I just need 1 hot and 1 ground (2 to each side). Anyone have any info that might help me save $200 plus shipping for buying the complete harness?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Do you have the WIS? There are many electrical diagrams are in there.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon
    I do have the WIS and it does show a "schematic" but not being an engineer, is doesn't make much sense to me... I imagine that if I just run 2 wires to each side, I can link the 2 lights together. But if one bulb goes out, they will both stop working. I think I that I'm just going to have to play around with it and check any cut wires with a volt meter to see what I need to replace.

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    The best thing to do with fog lights is to get a long screwdriver and a hammer. Place the metal part of the screwdriver against the glass and hit the other end of the screwdriver with the hammer and the just tear out what is hanging out. Your lucky as your half way there.
    stupid fx@#$#@ fog lights.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardedFool View Post
    I do have the WIS and it does show a "schematic" but not being an engineer, is doesn't make much sense to me... I imagine that if I just run 2 wires to each side, I can link the 2 lights together. But if one bulb goes out, they will both stop working. I think I that I'm just going to have to play around with it and check any cut wires with a volt meter to see what I need to replace.
    You need to wire the two lights in parallel, if you wire them in series then they will only light at half brightness.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brennan View Post
    The best thing to do with fog lights is to get a long screwdriver and a hammer. Place the metal part of the screwdriver against the glass and hit the other end of the screwdriver with the hammer and the just tear out what is hanging out. Your lucky as your half way there.
    stupid fx@#$#@ fog lights.

Much safer all round to leave the lamps but remove the bulbs, they really are quite useless in most circumstances. In the UK they are only legal, with the headlights off, in falling snow or fog. We don't see fog all that often and rarely so dense that fog lights are necessary and even then they are only of any real use at night. in daytime fog headlights make for greater conspicuity.