Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 SE Wagon

Cigarette lighter socket

I'm trying to replace my cigarette lighter socket and I'm having a hard time getting the bleeping original one out. I've looked on Fixxmysaab and it doesn't show anything but how to get to it. Any suggestions, detailed instructions or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandorasbox9 View Post
    I'm trying to replace my cigarette lighter socket and I'm having a hard time getting the bleeping original one out. I've looked on Fixxmysaab and it doesn't show anything but how to get to it. Any suggestions, detailed instructions or pictures would be greatly appreciated.
    No pictures for you to view so you will need to look at the new socket to see how this thing fits together. The inner core screws into the outer shell and that is what holds it tight in the mounting hole. Putting a new socket into the hole is easy, push the inner core through the hole, stick your thumb into the socket to hold it in place, put the outer core on the back side and spin the darn thing until its tight.

Removal is the opposite of install except that it is only easy when new. Even if the lighter was never used to light a cigarette, the socket shell tends to become one with the core over the years. Heat from the lighter and tar from the little burning tobacco chunks that stick to the heating element really help to cement this thing together.

For the really stuck ones liquid wrench will eventually get the job done, but its time consuming and messy. If you have a moto tool with 1" cutting wheel, slice the end off and replace with new.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    You'll have to take out the entire trim piece around the shifter. I think the cigarette lighter socket is held in by clips on the rear of the trim panel.

Instructions on how to remove the trim panel can be found here: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=86

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    All good stuff but, getting the ashtray out is the hardest bit, the mechanism on top tends to foul on the aperture.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 SE Wagon
    Thank you!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 SE Wagon
    Thank you!!! Why isn't there an accessory key switch for charging phones? Lol. I've had my battery go dead trying to charge my phone. 🤬

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon
    I replaced my lighter socket with a USB socket that I found on Amazon. Only issue I had was that I had to cut away some of the material on the back of that trim panel. The lighter socket in my car is on an accessory type switch where it wont charge unless the key is in the "on" position. So I only charge the phone if the engine is running. I did contemplate running a new wire in there so that the socket is constantly powered but I fear that the trickle of electricity for there being lights in the USB socket would drain the battery.

Here is a link to the USB port that I installed:
    Dual USB Charger Socket Power Outlet - 1A & 2.1A for Car Boat Marine Mobile with Wire Fuse DIY Kit (3.1A-Blue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FLY857S..._xBy1Db12CJ3TF

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 SE Wagon
    Thank you. I like this car very much and would like to fix it up. I just bought the car. The motor runs great and no oil leaks. I was recently pulled over and found out the registration hasn't been paid since 2017. I live in California and the back registration is going to cost over $700. ������ It was sold to me with fake tags and paperwork. The title is valid and clean,the DMV confirmed it. I paid $900 for the car with 118,900 miles on it. I need to sell it. I'm not sure how to sell it. The only option is as a parts car.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon
    Don't you have to get new tags and registration when you buy the car anyway? How long ago did you buy the car? If recent, then why are you responsible for the former owners "fake tags"? If you bought it a while ago, why didn't you get new tags along with the "title transfer"?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 SE Wagon
    I just bought the car two weeks ago.