Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Colton

Saab(s)
    1969 SAAB 96

V4 Throttle / Carb Issues

Hi All,

I'm new to the SAAB forum and this being my first post, I'll introduce myself a little before I get into my issue. I'm a younger guy who has been driving and working on classics since before I could legally drive. Recently I acquired one of of my favorite weird cars, a 1969 SAAB 96, and it's been hilarious to drive. Coming from a world of classic Porsches and VW's, it feels similar but in in much more comical ways. In short and sparing the details, its not in perfect shape, but I love it.

Now onto the issues, further reading can assume that all parts are either original, stock, or replaced with factory new originals.

Going through the engine bay upon purchase, I noticed the vacuum hose for the carburetor to the valve cover was kinked at it's 180 degree bend, allowing zero air to pass through. By appearance of the hose, it had been that way for a long time. So I replaced it with an appropriate hose albeit longer to relieve strain on the tight bend. Before this, the engine and throttle operated normally.

Now, with the engine at correct operating temp, in neutral, the engine bogs and dies when 5%-15% throttle is applied. Idle is smooth when engine is cold, slightly rough when warm, increasing throttle beyond that range the engine revs and produces power normally.

Should I assume the vacuum hose now being functional is causing this issue? There isn't a lot of information available to the specifics of the vacuum hose, and I'm assuming this is the problem as it is the only thing that has changed the performance of the engine. Assuming it's causing either richness or leanness in the mix ratio. I could be completely wrong and may just need to remove the carb and doe a full and proper cleaning. I figured I'd get opinions here first before doing that and/or adjusting idle and mix screws.

Any information on the subject would be hugely appreciated and I thank you for your time in reading this.

-Colton

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Welcome to the forum.

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand written words, but saving almost a thousand words, are you referring vacuum line to the PVC?

As to your question about what to do with a 50 year old carburetor I suggest you look to the AACA forum and hook up with Carbking, if you need any parts he is the best source that I can recommend.

Colton

Saab(s)
    1969 SAAB 96
    Thanks Digger,

Yes this is referencing the PVC line.

And thanks for the recommendation, he may have other parts I need as well as at some point I would like to swap to a twin barrel Weber and all the fun stuff that requires.

-Colton

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Hi Colton,
    When I was growing up I was told that carburetor was the French word for don't "F" with it and when I did I learned about floats, jets, chokes, how vacuum draws fuel and that the accelerator pump is a one spritz wonder. With the PCV line working my guess is the accelerator pump and if I'm right you will need a new diaphragm. Odds are Carbking has one. If you can't get one from a local NAPA go to the AACA general or technical forums and post what you need, if he doesn't see it someone that knows him will.