Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Wagon

Factory Options? Can I upgrade???

Hi Saabsters.
    Hopefully this will be an easy one for you in the know.
    A guy I know is parting out a 1998 9-5 SE that has a few nice options that my '01 LINEAR wagon doesn't have so...

- Is it possible to replace non-electric seats with electric ones? Obviously the style is the same, I'm wondering if the wiring harness is already there, would it interfere with anything like ECU, airbags etc etc.

- The drivers automatic side mirror (with the button that moves when the car's put in reverse), can that be fitted to a car that didn't leave the factory with one?

I'm only curious as he wants pennies for them and they'd make nice upgrades for my "base model". His car is complete and in good condition and it's already been a great bonus to my spares stash.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by impalax327 View Post
    Hi Saabsters.
    Hopefully this will be an easy one for you in the know.
    A guy I know is parting out a 1998 9-5 SE that has a few nice options that my '01 LINEAR wagon doesn't have so...

- Is it possible to replace non-electric seats with electric ones? Obviously the style is the same, I'm wondering if the wiring harness is already there, would it interfere with anything like ECU, airbags etc etc.

- The drivers automatic side mirror (with the button that moves when the car's put in reverse), can that be fitted to a car that didn't leave the factory with one?

I'm only curious as he wants pennies for them and they'd make nice upgrades for my "base model". His car is complete and in good condition and it's already been a great bonus to my spares stash.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

There is no technical reason why you should not retrofit any factory option to a 2001 9-5 however you do need all the bits not just the obvious so, for the mirror you need the memory module and the wiring for both mirrors plus both mirrors and the control panel. For the seats you need the seats plus the heated seat switches, if your car doesn't have them. You will also need WIS for the wiring diagrams.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
    There is no technical reason why you should not retrofit any factory option to a 2001 9-5 however you do need all the bits not just the obvious so, for the mirror you need the memory module and the wiring for both mirrors plus both mirrors and the control panel. For the seats you need the seats plus the heated seat switches, if your car doesn't have them. You will also need WIS for the wiring diagrams.

Hey Geoff, thanks. I had an idea it could get complicated!
    My 2001 does have heated seats but it sounds like more work than I'm willing to do and for what benefits I'd get.
    Thanks for the info!

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    The original 900 (circa 1981-1992 or so) was great for upgrading. I had a base 900 (in some countries sold as the 900i, 900GLS, etc.).

I put in a interior light delay relay so the dome light stayed on for about 10 seconds. Easy as pie.

It also didn't come with rear headrests but that was easy. Just screw in a bracket and insert the headrest. The screw hole could be felt under the fabric.

There were a few other things one could add, like gauges. I think heated seats could be added but I never did that. An alarm was easy to add because it was already wired for one.

Now it's hard even to replace a radio in a new car.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Wagon
    So, true Dave. New cars are a nightmare!
    My 1990 Mazda 626 is a gem as they seemed to use one type of wiring loom for all variants and options like fog lights are easy to fit as the wiring is all there already. On the dash you remove a blanking plug and the connector is there ready to take the switch. I get that some of the options I was hoping to retro fit on my 9-5 are more complicated and are possible if the entire assembly is fitted, I was hoping for more of a "Japanese" type plug'n'play swap. But even though my Linear is a "base model" it has everything I need in practical terms. I suppose when your eye to eye with a donor car a lot of chin rubbing goes on!
    Name:  s14.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  68.2 KB

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    I had a set of power folding mirrors for my previous car, indeed I fitted them, however the folding circuit is simple but strange. I wanted to arrange for the mirrors to fold when I locked the car and open when I unlocked it, unfortunately they just don't work in a compatible way.