Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saab(s)
    2004 95 T Arc.

Saab 2004 ABS unit.

My 2004 has all the ABS lights lit on the dashboard. I sent off the Electronic section of the ABS unit to be refurbished but that did not fix the problem.
    After another scan from the repair shop I am told that I need the ABS hydraulic unit as a valve is bad.
    I am able to source a 2006 unit but my question is :- Is the 2006 unit compatible with my 2004 car?
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    There weren't many technical changes between the 2004 and later model years so it seems likely the 2004 unit is compatible with your 2006. Do you know what the codes are? Is this a repair shop that is familiar with Saabs?

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkslad View Post
    My 2004 has all the ABS lights lit on the dashboard. I sent off the Electronic section of the ABS unit to be refurbished but that did not fix the problem.
    After another scan from the repair shop I am told that I need the ABS hydraulic unit as a valve is bad.
    I am able to source a 2006 unit but my question is :- Is the 2006 unit compatible with my 2004 car?
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    One sure way to check whether they are the same is to check the part numbers, if both have the same P/N they are the same.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
    One sure way to check whether they are the same is to check the part numbers, if both have the same P/N they are the same.
    Multiple years are compatible, but these things come in several flavors, so like Geoff says, check the numbers on your unit and then look to see what you can find that matches. http://car-part.com/index.htm

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2002 95 Aero manual Black, 2001 95 Aero Silver, 1999 Viggen
    I recently had the same issue with my '02 Aero manual. Call Goldwing Saab in Hastings NY and they will provide the correct unit. It will have to be married to the car. Got to a qualified garage with some one who is truly experienced with marrying one of these units. I went to a local garage with a Tech II and they had no success. Went to the best Saab mechanic in the USA @ JG Saab service in Lunenburg Mass, he married the unit to the car. No more problems!

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
    I recently had the same issue with my '02 Aero manual. Call Goldwing Saab in Hastings NY and they will provide the correct unit. It will have to be married to the car. Got to a qualified garage with some one who is truly experienced with marrying one of these units. I went to a local garage with a Tech II and they had no success. Went to the best Saab mechanic in the USA @ JG Saab service in Lunenburg Mass, he married the unit to the car. No more problems!
    Takes more than a Tech 2, you need the Saab security access software for programing and you need to know how to use it. Repairing the ABS controller that came with the car can avoid reprograming and replacing the controller on a salvage valve assembly with the "working" controller that came the car avoids programing and sometimes you just have to bite the reprogramming bullet.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Takes more than a Tech 2, you need the Saab security access software for programing and you need to know how to use it. Repairing the ABS controller that came with the car can avoid reprograming and replacing the controller on a salvage valve assembly with the "working" controller that came the car avoids programing and sometimes you just have to bite the reprogramming bullet.

Thanks for the feed back. Your comment is not at all what was my experience in repairing and marrying the replacement unit from Goldwing Saab was. I expect my Saab mechanic with over 40 years of experience is far more knowledgeable than either one of us. He performed the repair as described and it has worked flawlessly since.

Saab(s)
    2004 95 T Arc.
    Thank you all for your valuable input. Yes I do have a repair shop that I use, they repair many Saab models. I did not see a code on the Tech 2 scanner, just a read out “valve #1 faulty”. The mechanic also told me the pump wasn’t working. I am assuming that the pump is part of the ABS hydraulic unit.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkslad View Post
    Thank you all for your valuable input. Yes I do have a repair shop that I use, they repair many Saab models. I did not see a code on the Tech 2 scanner, just a read out “valve #1 faulty”. The mechanic also told me the pump wasn’t working. I am assuming that the pump is part of the ABS hydraulic unit.
    The repair I had performed left me with a pump unit (less control module) off a Saab 95 with only 17k miles. If you are interested I would sell it to you for $75 plus shipping. Either way, Merry Christmas!

Saab(s)
    2004 95 T Arc.
    Sounds great! Will it fit my 2004 95 arc?