Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon

Factory stereo head unit questions

On my 99 9-5 wagon, I originally had an issue where the control knob on the stereo would work for power and balance, but the volume function only worked very rarely. Luckily the steering wheel controls work. I decided to modify the stereo as outlined in this post
    http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=28000

While I was in there and realized how easy it was to replace the control knob and circuit board that it is attached to (all knobs for bass treble and fade), I ran to the junk yard and got a replacement. I installed that part but I'm still having the same issue. Push for power on and off works fine, pull and turn for left and right balance works fine, but volume does nothing. Steering wheel control still works so I'm not "$#it out of luck". But makes me wonder if theres an issue with another part of the head unit or if its just a common enough problem that I pulled a bad part from another saab at the junk yard.

Another question is regarding the high pitched background noise I hear when my phone is plugged in and charging while also plugged into the aux port (no noise if I'm not charging the phone while plugged into aux port). I have read that its simply a bad ground issue and before I spend a few hours testing theories, I thought I'd see if anyone else had any luck elsewhere. Some suggest a better ground from the lighter socket (which I actually modified to a dual USB hub) and others suggest a better ground from the head unit itself. While all of the car audio shops around want to sell me a "ground loop" device of some sort.
    Any thoughts or ideas should be great.

Saab(s)
    2007 9-5
    I dont know how to fix your noise while charging - but I can confirm mine does it too.
    Good luck - you find an easy fix let us know.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    This ia s 20 year old head unit, it lives in a relatively damp environment and suffers vibration and heat cycling it shouldn't be any surprise that they suffer a few issues. That said they are pretty reliable but not readily repaired as the circuit diagrams aren't easily found (I haven't found one) so pretty much any repair is going to be based on experience rather than anything else. It might be worth looking for a replacement from a scrap car, get the VIN as it is necessary to divorce it from the old car. Otherwise, consider replacing it with a modern unit, for pre-2006 MY cars it is an easy option and probably less frustrating longer term.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon
    I spoke with a local car stereo guy and he told me to look instead into a 12 volt noise filter and install it in line with the power supply for the lighter socket. I did find a used one for $10 and it cut the noise down by roughly 75% if I had to guess. Well worth it in my opinion. Niw I just have to focus on not cranking the volume all of the way up 😅

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Wagon
    I had a few thoughts about the stereo in my 2001 9-5 wagon. Should I replace it, upgrade it, fit an AUX port, fit a 7" touch screen unit etc. Did a lot of research, checked all the youtube videos etc. In the end I had to think about what was I trying to achieve, how much work would it involve, how would it work and look.

With the way modern technology is I ended up just buying a cigar lighter plug in Bluetooth player off eBay for about $7. I can pair my phone with it to make and take calls and play music, even listen to youtube while I'm driving. I can charge my phone via it's two USB ports and play 1000+ songs by fitting a TF (SD) card. All I need to do is plug it into the lighter socket, tune it to a FM station and voila. And, as I have two cars, I can just take it wherever I want. The sound quality is great and it's small.

SO what did I gain? The music I wanted, a hands free phone and I didn't have to do a lengthy complicated install. The dash is original and all I use now is just the FM radio but still have a CD and cassette should I need it.

Sometimes the easiest solutions are the best. Why complicate things?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon
    I agree. Keep it simple. However, some of those FM transmitters are junk. I'm sure the technology on them has improved but I bought one a while back that was an aux port/lighter socket adapter to plug in a dvd player for the kids for a long road trip and it was garbage. Got some sound and a whole lot of static. Now, ive also seen one that worked perfect in a friend's car. So I figure it's a bit of a gamble. After having done the modification, I found that theres a tape cassette adapter that does bluetooth, but it needs to be charged and wont play while charging. Sounds like a great idea but just with extra steps or having to have one more item plugged in and charging over night and then hoping I dont forget to grab it when I go to hop in the car.