Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    03 9-5 2.3

CV axle advice? 03 Aero drive side

Anyone have any pics of where their drivers side CV axle meets the trans? I can't tell if my axle is sticking too far out of the transmission, or even why it would. I removed the ring clip from the end of the CV shaft and the output seal from the trans, so there should be nothing holding it up there. Anyone else experienced this? The photo shows the old CV but they both stop there, no clips, no seal, dead clunk; every time. Thanks!

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Have you downloaded WIS?

If not I would strongly advise that you do so here http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=33310

Other than that you are talking about an axle, there is no front axle on a Saab, what you describe is a drive shaft, it does a very different job from an axle. All a drive shaft does is to turn the wheel, all the weight is on the strut and wishbone. Also I can't see your pictures.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    03 9-5 2.3
    Cv Axle=constant velocity joint=bendy rod connecting transmission to hub. I do have WIS, didn't help. I'm not really asking about whether it bears weight, just how far into the trans I have to insert it. I'll try to upload the photo here.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    If this is the first time you've pulled a drive axle and you pulled it free from the tranny by pulling on the axle shaft, you probably pulled the inner CV apart and it needs to be put back together, if you still can.

If not, please provide a more detailed description of what leads you to ask this question.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    03 9-5 2.3
    Well I ask if anyone has pictures of where the CV enters the transmission primarily because I would like to see said pictures. I think it might be ok, how I've installed the drive side CV axle right now. On Honda's though, the largest diameter section of the CV that holds the bearings, aka the tulip, sits flush to the trans case. Sorry to repeat unhelpful description, I'm just not sure how to rephrase this.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Actually a lot more helpful than the question with posted pic as it explains why you asked the question and different cars and different years of cars have different spacing. Most of these you can pop free with a pickle fork, some only have enough room to slip in a wonder bar, others have enough room for a big footed crow bar and some you have to dig the axle puller out of the tool box.

Posting aren't anywhere as easy to figure out as the spoken question with the car handy to look at and you don't know until you ask that someone didn't pull both drive axles at the same time. I don't have an old 9-5 handy to raise up on the hoist and take a picture. Even if I did, a 17 year old car may or may not have an OEM drive axle and after markets are similar, but not always machined identically.

If the new drive axle looks identical to the old axle, or is compatible with the OEM part and the lock ring snapped into place then it probably is where it should be as the 2.3 Saturn and your Saab share a lot of front end parts and the Saturn has room for a big footed crowbar.