Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Aero Wagon
    Got the oil pressure sensor replaced, it was definitely leaking. I’m sure I have more leaks, the passenger side control arm is basically soaked with oil. It could be the timing cover, or maybe crank seal? More to look into [emoji41]

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Aero Wagon

Got a few more things checked off the list...new oil filter, valve cover gaskets, serpentine belt/tensioner/idler pulley. The hose going from the oil trap to the valve cover is broken, so I bought the entire kit from eEuroparts that includes the trap and all hoses; but for the life of me I can’t get the hoses disconnected from the trap! I feel like I need a third set of hands to pull as I’m squeezing those grey tabs. I considered just cutting the hoses off so I can slide the trap out the bottom, but that’s kind of a point of no return solution. The two bolts holding the trap to the block are already out, intake bracket is out, I feel like I’ve given myself the best chance of success but I’ve so far failed miserably. If anyone has any suggestions, I’m all ears!

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon
    Haven't tackled that one either. My '99 doesn't have the oil trap set-up but is one of the things I was gonna hit this spring.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Aero Wagon
    Ended up cutting all the hoses close to the trap (I have all new ones) and then was able to get it out. What a bear...it looks like the older traps are much smaller than the one on my ‘06. I thought I’d be able to get it out under the car, but the exhaust would probably have to be dropped to get it out that way. I read somewhere that a guy got it out the top, towards the right side between the intake and belt tensioner, so that’s where I finally got it to come out. Took quite a bit of cursing and scratched up hands/arms, however!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Aero Wagon
    Finished up installing the hoses last night. My god, what a pain. That whole design is the spawn of the devil, I swear. I spent about an hour and a half wrestling with the hose from the oil trap to the valve cover...only to finally discover that there was an extra o-ring stuck in there that was preventing it from seating all the way. After I figured that one out it went a LITTLE better, but still a huge pain. Glad that’s all over! Just gotta replace the vacuum lines with silicone now, but that should be a cake walk compared to that disaster. [emoji41]

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Aero Wagon
    Still dealing with a pretty significant oil leak...starting to aggravate me. Finished doing front main seal replacement as well as oil pump o-ring...was pretty easy other than wrestling with that giant circlip. Wiped the right side of the motor down and took it for a quick drive; came back and it was already dripping! My next step is drop the oil pan and reseal (I’d like to check the condition of the oil pickup screen anyways). I’ve never had a vehicle make this big of a mess in the driveway/garage, so I’d like to get it resolved ASAP!

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    I would have a good look at the timing cover gasket and crank shaft oil seal, as you mentioned at post 11. I am sure that you have confirmed that what you are seeing is actually engine oil? The level is going down and you are having to top it up regularly. Are you sure it isn't coming from the oil cooler or associated pipework?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Aero Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
    I would have a good look at the timing cover gasket and crank shaft oil seal, as you mentioned at post 11. I am sure that you have confirmed that what you are seeing is actually engine oil? The level is going down and you are having to top it up regularly. Are you sure it isn't coming from the oil cooler or associated pipework?
    Crank shaft oil seal=front main seal, correct? Or are we talking about two different things? It is a real possibility it could still be timing cover gasket, I was just replacing what I thought were the most common causes. It’s definitely engine oil, level does drop; location of leak could certainly be anything that you mentioned! It just is heavily biased to the right side of the engine. Lower control arm, and even the fender liner have become covered in oil over time.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcgonzal View Post
    Crank shaft oil seal=front main seal, correct? Or are we talking about two different things?
    I would hesitate to call the crank shaft oil seal the front main seal simply because it isn't at the front with a transverse engine but we are probably talking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcgonzal View Post
    It is a real possibility it could still be timing cover gasket, I was just replacing what I thought were the most common causes. It’s definitely engine oil, level does drop; location of leak could certainly be anything that you mentioned! It just is heavily biased to the right side of the engine. Lower control arm, and even the fender liner have become covered in oil over time.
    If oil is going forwards I would definitely look at the oil cooler.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Aero Wagon
    Replaced timing chain tensioner seal(s) last night, looked like it was leaking from there as well. Guess I’ll just keep knocking stuff off the list! I’m second guessing dropping the oil pan, however...on second glance it really looked pretty darn clean. Since it seems to be leaking on the right side, I guess the last main culprit is probably the timing cover. I just can’t seem to pinpoint the start of the leak; I’ll have to clean everything really well and start over at this point.