Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Wagon

My 9-5 is just coming up to 100k miles - should I be worried??

Hi guys,
    my lovely 2001 9-5 wagon is just coming up to the 160,000k (100k mile) mark and I was hoping to get your thoughts on my undue worrying?
    It's a lovely fairly low milage car in great condition. It had a fairly easy life prior to me getting it back in May 2019, with lots of history etc. In the 8 months I've had it I've fixed a few of the very minor issues it had and kept it in great condition with lots of servicing etc. It runs great, shifts great (4sp auto), has ice cold air, runs like a clock, runs to temp and really is a fine example. I drive it very easily and have only done 5000k's in 8 months without an issue. And...everything works!

My problem is that every time I take it out I worry if "today will be the day". I know that applies to any car the same age.

For those of you that have had more long term ownership experience should I worry or just enjoy it? My big worry are things like fuel pumps or transmission issues even though neither of these are showing any signs of trouble at the moment.

Some of the usual culprit problems have been changed in the past; the coolant bypass valve, all vacuum hoses, turbo bypass valve, DIC unit have all been changed (and I have a new spare DIC). The engine is serviced often, runs beautifully and shows no signs of sludge at all. The trans fluid has been flushed 3 times and is nice and red with good strong smooth changes.

So any suggestions on what I should be doing (if anything) as it clocks 100k miles?

Thanks for any thoughts.Name:  s14.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  68.2 KB

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    No you shouldn't be worried.
    You should expect to change the front sub-frame, anti roll bar (back and front), and rear trailing arm bushes fairly soon. They last a good long time but at 100K miles they can't have much left.
    The windscreen (shield to you) may be pretty badly marked by now too, usually lots of minor chips an nicks, so changing that may be worth considering.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Wagon
    Thanks Geoff.
    I'll definitely get under and check the bushes. One of the first repairs I did was to replace the front sway bar links as they clunked like crazy and I did give the bushes etc a quick look but a more detailed one is a great suggestion.
    Thanks to a swine of a lorry driver not covering his load, the front screen was just replaced after a large rubber wheel chock bounced into it! So I can tick that one off! Down here in Oz we call them screens...EXPENSIVE screens lol.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by impalax327 View Post
    Thanks Geoff.
    I'll definitely get under and check the bushes. One of the first repairs I did was to replace the front sway bar links as they clunked like crazy and I did give the bushes etc a quick look but a more detailed one is a great suggestion.
    Thanks to a swine of a lorry driver not covering his load, the front screen was just replaced after a large rubber wheel chock bounced into it! So I can tick that one off! Down here in Oz we call them screens...EXPENSIVE screens lol.
    Ooops, sorry I didn't notice that you were in Oz. In the UK windscreens are covered by insurance with a small excess so we never get to see what they really cost!.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Wagon
    Haha..all good mate.
    Yeah screens are usually covered down here too IF you have fully comp cover, which I don't. Cost me about 300 quid. If I had cover the price would've been closer to 450 pounds with a 200 excess so swings n roundabouts I guess. I could've gone cheaper but went with our biggest known company O'Briens who did a great job I must say. Just a bit vexed I didn't get the rego or number of the offending lorry. Grrrr.....

Name:  Screen1.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  63.1 KB

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    9000CSE, 9-3 Aero Convertible, 9-5 HOT Aero
    I have a similar 9-5 Aero ... lovely car with a real smooth drive ... just passed the 160K miles mark ... recent had to change the expensive power steering pressure hose and the auto gearbox oil cooling hoses (both are exposed under the rad and are prone to rusting over time) ... in the process had to change the rad as well! Goes like a bat out of hell .... especially on motorways! Original Turbo still performing well ... regular synthetic oil changes at every 5K miles ....

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Wagon
    Great to hear T4hir. Enjoy that car!