Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3

Considering a purchase.

First of all, please forgive me if you read this elsewhere. I had trouble registering here yesterday dor some reason but finally got in today.

Hello everyone. I'm looking for a little advise. I'm going to go look at a 2006 9-3 2.0T SportCombi, automatic gearbox tomorrow. The car has quite a few issues as well as 180,000 miles but asking price is low and the maintenance records on mycarfax look pretty good with regular oil changes and service.
    The bad parts are these. Quoting the owner, "The misfire seems to be causing a rough idle and shakiness when driving. The loss of power is worse at low speeds." "Coolant seems to be leaking from directly under reservoir. Not from radiator."
    The car also has a small oil leak which he described. "The oil leak isn’t insane but will leave a tiny puddle over a few days. A few weeks of leaking in the same spot seems to leave about 1/2 cup of oil or so. It’s hard to tell the location of the oil leak honestly"
    Also, the latch for the rear door is broken, doesn't latch and the supports are gone too. Driver seat leather is ripped a bit and the drivers window does not roll down.

On the plus side, he sent many high resolution pictures. The body and trim seem to be excellent in shiny black, no dents, glass is good and it has a roof rack and a bike rack included. New battery purchased today and also the tires are almost new, although they do seem to be a discount brand.
    Mycarfax shows in May of 2019, the car had front axles repaired/replaced and also the rear pads and rotors replaced at a very well reviewed import indie mechanic.
    In May of 2018 the car had this done to it. Sway bar links replaced, stabilizer bar link replaced and the front brake pads replaced.
    In February 2018 the car got a new windshield, radiator repaired, whatever that means, thermostat replaced and coolant changed. Transmission fluid changed, power steering checked and a cabin air filter replaced.
    Looks like the car lived in Florida till around 50,000 miles then it was in New Mexico for a spell. from 2012-2016. The car was then in SC for a couple of years before going to Seattle till 2018. The car has been back in New Mexico since then.
    Sorry for the length of the post, I just sort of got on a roll. So, what do you Saab experts think? 750 dollars....no brainer or run away?
    Thank you all for reading.
    Be well.
    Tony

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    In good condition these SportCombi's bring good money up where I am and I wouldn't hesitate to buy this car, in the this condition, for this kind of money. Whether to drive or flip, for me this would be a no brainer, but I have the Saab software for my Tech 2, a hoist in my garage, a neighbor that will sell me OEM Saab only parts at 5% over dealer cost, several good sources for used and new aftermarket GM Saab compatible parts.

The 2.0t is a GM Echo-tech engine with Saab ignition and software so at $750 its not an instant buy it now or run away, but it is a give it some serious thought and it might be a don't look back walk away depending on how much of the work you can do yourself.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    In good condition these SportCombi's bring good money up where I am and I wouldn't hesitate to buy this car, in the this condition, for this kind of money. Whether to drive or flip, for me this would be a no brainer, but I have the Saab software for my Tech 2, a hoist in my garage, a neighbor that will sell me OEM Saab only parts at 5% over dealer cost, several good sources for used and new aftermarket GM Saab compatible parts.

The 2.0t is a GM Echo-tech engine with Saab ignition and software so at $750 its not an instant buy it now or run away, but it is a give it some serious thought and it might be a don't look back walk away depending on how much of the work you can do yourself.
    Thank you, this is pretty much the state of mind I am in regarding that car. Except, all I have are hand tools and a shade tree. I'm decently mechanical, I once used two Honda twin cylinder bike motors that were halfway broken to make one running engine that lasted me a summer. Modern car electrics are a different story though. I got a bit more information recently. the car is throwing P0304 and P0116 codes according to the owner. There wasn't much on those codes in a search. Owner also ways compression was tested and it is good and that cylinder 2 is misfiring. It has new plugs but he didn't give me the plug number to verify they are the correct ones and he also states the coils are the Saab/Mitsubishi ones.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Saabs do have concealed GM part numbers, their own secret codes, and controlled access software but you don't nee to be a rocket scientist to keep one running. For the most part basic electro-mechanical skills, hand tools, a good shade tree. P0304 & P0116 have temp sensor wiring in common and downloading the WIS from the first sticky in the tech talk section will give you everything you need and need to know to fix whats wrong with this car.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3
    Hello, sorry for the late reply. I got the WIS but it seems to not work. I get the menu on the left side but nothing appears on the right side. no text.