Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 9-5 Aero Sportcombi

AC charge and compressor o-rings

It's getting warm here in TN, and I have no functioning AC. Last time I was under the hood I noticed the AC compressor was totally covered in green sticky material. When I bought the car it came with one of those DIY "AC FREEZE" kits. I'm thinking the freon leaked out around the compressor and the leak detect/sealant is what covered the compressor. I dont own a vacuum pump but I could, HF sells 3 or 4 different kinds, along with manifold gauges and etc. I have a rudimentary understanding of how the system works and I've watched someone do it in the past (draw a vacuum and charge the system).

If I was about to do this myself, what are some "you must replace this most def!" type of parts? I was gonna order o-rings, and probably the orifice valve. I'm 90 percent certain the compressor works when charged. I have an old Ford truck I'd like to have the AC working on as well in the future, so buying the tools is definitely the option for me..

2006 Aero wagon, 195k.

*I also posted this in Saabcentral but no responses there yet*

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon
    I don't know of any "known suspect" areas but would suggest cleaning the area off, getting some of the leak detector stuff and charge it then look for the leak. On an old car of mine, it was leaking from a rock going through the condenser. After I fixed that, I discovered that it was also leaking from the compressor itself. $300 later and doing all of the work myself, everything worked great. As far as a vacuum pump goes, you can usually "rent" one from a parts store for free. But by "rent", I mean you have to pay the full price of a new one, they give you a used one, then you get your money back when you return it. I did try the HF one that you hook up to an air compressor, but you need a professional style compressor as my 5 gallon portable compressor I have from construction jobs didn't provide enough SCFM to draw a vacuum on the system.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 9-5 Aero Sportcombi
    I took the car to a garage to have it leak checked. They said it was definitely leaking at the compressor. He mentioned that the system was "contaminated" and putting new parts on an old system wont cut it. The previous owner took it to a garage as well and was told the same answer. Was given a quote of $1800 w/warranty. Looking on eeuroparts.com I see a few different brands that I know nothing about. Nissens, acm, and OE SAAB parts. Are there brands to stay away from? Does it sound like I really need to replace the whole system?