Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon

Brakes questions

I recently just finished replacing all of the brake pads and rotors along with new bearings/hubs. Once I got it all up and running, I got the ABS light (triangle) lit up. Thinking back to the process of the new pads and rotors, when I compressed the calipers, the level of brake fluid did not rise in the reservoir. I'm wondering if the fluid might have backed up into the ABS unit or something? Or perhaps its just something to do with a speed sensor when I had the bearings pushed out of the front hubs and new bearings pressed in might have caused a sensor issue causing the light to go on? We got snow this weekend and the ABS did seem to kick in and work properly. And with the covid issues, I'm trying to avoid having to take it to the shop and have a mechanic hook up a tech2 and see whats going on.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Aero Wagon
    I’m not sure in your case, but I just did all 4 rotors and pads on my 2006 and didn’t have any lights afterwards. Makes me think it’s hub/bearing related...I haven’t looked at mine closely enough to see how it all works. Does the ABS speed sensor come attached when you bought the new hub? Or are you working with the original ABS equipment?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon
    I reused the front hubs and just replaced the bearings. Had to have a shop press out and press back in the hubs and bearings. I noticed on the driver side, they had put in a new holder for the sensor but admittedly, I didn't check the clearance after reconnecting them. The rear hub assemblies were brand new from TRQ and have new sensors that I do know for a fact that I connected the wires to after installing them. One of the main thoughts that ran through my head was the lack of fluid pumping back into the brake fluid reservoir when I compressed the calipers. I found it odd that the level didnt change. I plan on getting in touch with my Saab mechanic to have him check it out with his tech2 as I also have an airbag light on as well. I had also just replaced the seats with heated seats that I got from someone parting out their saab 9-5. Only problem there was that he removed the seats from the mounting and sliding tracks so I had to spend a few hours roming the tracks/motors/etc to swap them onto the new replacement seats and I may have missed reconnecting a plug in there somewhere.