Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear

Steering wheel locked

Hi guys a couple days ago I turned my car off and steering wheel didnt lock and I didnt think much of it. I had to do a few things with aftermarket speakers in the car so I unplugged battery. when I finished doing what I had to I put everything back in place and plugged battery back in, now I cant start my car. I get "steering wheel locked. Pull out key, turn steering wheel. try again". My steering wheel is not locked I can rotate it all the way in both directions. The 1 and 2 fuses are fine pulled and replaced just in case. anyone have any idea what my problem is? please help I would like to get to my doctors next week

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Tim, Your profile says you have a 2001 Saab 9-5 and this question is posted in the 2003 - 2014 Saab 9-3 section. Would like to know if your car is a 9-3 or 9-5 before attempting to help.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 ARC 05 auto
    Assuming the OP does have a 9-3... the only time I have had the steering lock message was one time I hadn't started it for well over a week and the battery was under charged... it obviously didn't have enough punch to throw the lock solenoid or something... The car was not on, I got in and turned the key, the dash lights came on but I got the message "Steering lock malfunction ... pull over safely" or something along those lines.... A quick battery charge and it was back to normal.

The first thing I would be looking at is the age/condition of the battery and make sure the terminals are clean and tight

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear
    Hey guys thanks for input, I also have 2003 9-3 linear just cant figure out how to add it to profile lol. This is really messing with me nothing I can do will fix this. Like I said I had it unplugged for some speaker work and when I put it all back together got steering wheel locked message and its not locked. I have a feeling I will need new CIM or whatever its called seeing as I have had on and off traction control issue as well as steering wheel not locking when I remove key from ignition. I have a feeling that when it didnt lock this time and me unplugging battery really messed it up. Oh well I guess Im going to have to bring it to saab Indy and cry about having to pay but atleast it beats dealership repair costs.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    I've had ABS, traction control, steering wheel not locking on my 9-3 and it was caused by intermittent connect / broken abs rear wheel sensor wire.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    I have a 2011 9-5 and when I had the same problem it turned out to be the battery. Initially I disconnected the battery and found the negative terminal post covered with a black varnish like substance. I cleaned that off and also cleaned the inside of the terminal clamp after a wait of 20 minutes I reconnected everything and the car started. Then I drove off and bought a new battery.

If the battery is more than a few years old that may be the problem with yours, it is worth a try as you have a very heavy and imobile paperweight at the moment.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear
    tried new battery yesterday with no luck I figured it wasnt the problem because I just put a new battery in there 4 months ago and voltage was strong.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 ARC 05 auto
    A brand new, fully charged battery will be flat in 2 weeks if left connected to the car.... after 4 months, it will be dead.

Did you have the negative terminal disconnected for the 4 months the battery was in the car? Or were you driving it during that 4 months? If you were driving it, check the alternator is charging properly.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear
    I was driving it every day until I had it unplugged it that day. I plugged code from tech 2 in was u1500 01 and followed what WIS wanted me to do to and when all that was fine as well as some cim tests and throwing another cim in for testing and that being same problem. I want to say SCL is my problem here. now to figure out what that bolt is in there to remove the thing.

Saab(s)
    2008 9-3
    If the battery reset has been done and the fuses are good then the only way to find out what is wrong is to get a Tech2 or another tool hooked up to the car. The AP200 is one that will access all of the modules in the car, although it is limited to only basic functions like SAS reset and other minor things it will help in the diagnose part.