Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    SAAB 9-5 Aero 2.8T XWD 2011, SAAB 9-3 2.8T Aero Convertible 2008, SAAB 9-3 TTiD Aero 2009

ESP problem 9-5 2.8T XWD Aero, 2011

Hi friends,
    I have following problem with ESP on my 9-5 Aero 2.8T XWD, 2011.
    After starting engine and driving approx. 2 minutes, ESP failure appears on display. Engine goes to “protecting mode” switching off turbo. This status takes approx. 1-2 minutes. Then ESP failure disappears from display and engine returns into a normal mode. This procedure repeats few times within first 20 minutes of driving. After that engine runs well without any problem. The issue activates when car stops for more than 3 hours. In other words, I am facing this problem every morning driving to my office and every afternoon driving to my home. It takes 5 months already.
    I visited service which owns GM diagnostic device with new9-5 software. The diagnostic showed two errors: lambda (EGO) sensor and mass air flow sensor. They changed both but situation remains same. I am getting crazy of that, so if somebody can give me some idea, I will be happy. Thanks in advance.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    You really need WIS to understand the ESP operation, and a Windows computer to run it. However, this is part of what it says.

Name:  TCS ESP 2.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  40.6 KBName:  TCS ESP 1.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  25.2 KB

There is a lot more but, as I suspected the components you have replaced have nothing to do with the warning message you have seen. I suspect that there is a sensor that is "out of range", possibly one, or more, wheel speed sensors.

For some reason the two pages are in reverse order.

Saab(s)
    SAAB 9-5 Aero 2.8T XWD 2011, SAAB 9-3 2.8T Aero Convertible 2008, SAAB 9-3 TTiD Aero 2009
    Thank you very much for your advise. Sorry, I am not technician, what is WIS? I also wonder why diagnostic didn´t show error of wheel speed sensor. Should I order all 4 sensors and replace them? I already replaced EGO sensor, mass air flow sensor, now I should buy wheel speed sensors....but still no guarantee that the problem is solved. Is it possible to try wheel speed sensors from another 9-5NG just to test it ot the sensors are somehow paired with my ECU? Sorry for maybe stupid questions.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Thank you very much for your advise. Sorry, I am not technician, what is WIS? I also wonder why diagnostic didn´t show error of wheel speed sensor. Should I order all 4 sensors and replace them? I already replaced EGO sensor, mass air flow sensor, now I should buy wheel speed sensors....but still no guarantee that the problem is solved. Is it possible to try wheel speed sensors from another 9-5NG just to test it ot the sensors are somehow paired with my ECU? Sorry for maybe stupid questions.
    If a wheel speed sensor is not giving the correct output it can't be picked up by diagnostics if the car isn't moving. You could just buy one sensor and try it in each position but if two are at fault you might need to do it a second time.

Rather than repeat myself, you might read this http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?...9118#post79118

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
    If a wheel speed sensor is not giving the correct output it can't be picked up by diagnostics if the car isn't moving. You could just buy one sensor and try it in each position but if two are at fault you might need to do it a second time.

Rather than repeat myself, you might read this http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?...9118#post79118
    Thanks a lot for your help. Meanwhile the service stuff confirmed having WIS. Let me do another attempt. Anyway I will inform you about development.

Saab(s)

Angry ESP issue

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post

Hi GeoffR,
    let me inform you about development of my ESP issue. The electician found that alternator gives only 80A instead of 150A. They re-built the alternator but nothing changed. Then he checked all wires and cleared throttle body and its contacts. Nothing. I bought a brand new tires to avoid differences between worn tires. Nothing. The suspicion on cambus between ECU and ABS control unit occured. But test didn´t prove it. The latest suggestion from technician is to by new ABS control unit. I really don´t know what to do now...