Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5t 5-speed manual

Must disconnect battery before it will start

This is happening more frequently, cranks, tach showing some rpms, won't start. I disconnect neg cable for a few seconds and then starts and runs fine.
    I've replaced DIC and the CPS. New car battery, also tried a new battery in the key, since seems like it could be a fuel cut-off issue.
    Also, i noticed the negative battery terminal was pretty hot, not sure if this has always been the case.
    The only code I get is temp sensor, which I replaced, so I imagine I need to replace the thermostat, but seems unlikely that is related?

It's a 2006 9-5 2.3 with five-speed, 100k miles on it.
    Any thoughts much appreciated.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeymac View Post
    This is happening more frequently, cranks, tach showing some rpms, won't start. I disconnect neg cable for a few seconds and then starts and runs fine.
    I've replaced DIC and the CPS. New car battery, also tried a new battery in the key, since seems like it could be a fuel cut-off issue.
    Also, i noticed the negative battery terminal was pretty hot, not sure if this has always been the case.
    The only code I get is temp sensor, which I replaced, so I imagine I need to replace the thermostat, but seems unlikely that is related?Disconnect

It's a 2006 9-5 2.3 with five-speed, 100k miles on it.
    Any thoughts much appreciated.
    Disconnect the negative cable at the battery, clean the terminal post and the inside of the clamp thoroughly making sure there is no trace of contaminant present. Replace the clamp and torque the bolt to the correct value. Then disconnect the body end, repeat the cleaning and reassemble torquing the nut to the correct value. Far too many people believe that the terminal post needs to be coated with Vaseline before assembly but this is not correct all it does is add resistance. If you must, apply the vaseline after assembling the connection.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5t 5-speed manual
    GeoffR--Thank you. I will happily follow your suggestions, especially since they are within range of my limited mechanical abilities. Many times simple is best. Maybe I've been over thinking it.