Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t MT

Electrical Gremlins a'plenty

Good day all, first time poster on the site with yet another "saab story"...

Before I take my car to the dealership, I always try to diagnose the problem myself but this current issue has got me at wits end. I first noticed my misfire happening a week or two ago only very briefly while trying to accelerate from a stop or under light load on the highway. I replaced the MAF because it was visibly damaged, reset the ECU, car ran fantastic until about 30 miles of driving and then all hell broke loose. The problem had grown into a flashing CEL and a very badly misfiring car, multiple codes (P0301- Cyl 1 misfire, P0201- Cyl 1 Injector control circuit, and just yesterday, P0686- Engine Controls Ignition Relay Control circuit low voltage, P0638- Throttle actuator control command performance) and as of yesterday a car that seems to be stuck in low power mode. I will add it seems to run ok in low power mode if not slow as a VW beetle.

I had my neighbor who is the designated mechanic for the block take a look and he checked the coil and deduced that was not the problem. My spark plugs and MAF are new. Local Mechanic says it may just be an injector but it could also be "an electrical issue" that he wants no part of, which was a bit concerning. The car has always had a poor idle but the misfire seems to have really knocked the car out, it is not currently drive-able. My sleuthing on the Saab forums leads me to believe this issue is caused by 1) a Bad injector 2) faulty wiring in the injector circuit 3) Injector control module/ ECU... What say you folks? Thank you for your time.

Car: 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0t MT 150k mi
    Last edited by Robsalberghi; 28 July 2020 at 16:12. Reason: Spelling

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t MT
    Update: Called a local Saab shop and walked him through my troubles. He said with the above mentioned codes and conditions he is almost certain a new ECM is in order. He also advised me against pursuing a USED ECM due to difficulties matching the used unit to my car. He is an authorized dealer and can get NEW ECMs but the cost is roughly $600 for the unit from my understanding. With this new information, how have you guys fared with replacing the ECM on these cars?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsalberghi View Post
    Update: Called a local Saab shop and walked him through my troubles. He said with the above mentioned codes and conditions he is almost certain a new ECM is in order. He also advised me against pursuing a USED ECM due to difficulties matching the used unit to my car. He is an authorized dealer and can get NEW ECMs but the cost is roughly $600 for the unit from my understanding. With this new information, how have you guys fared with replacing the ECM on these cars?
    Used is used, new is new and electronic parts are always a crap shoot. New or used, if it lasts 90 days trouble free, then odds are it will last a long time. As for getting a used ECM, best to get part with matching number from same year car. New or used, the part needs to be programmed to work in the car. You have a price for a new part installed and depending on where you get a used part it could cost anywhere from $50 to $250 and still need to be programmed to the car.

By the time I needed to replace the ECM in my car, I already had a Tech 2 and Saab software so it cost me less than $60 to drive to the U-Pull yard and come home with the part.