Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Wagon

Low Speed ABS activation after module repair.

Hi all. Hope someone here can help.

My 2001 9-5 wagon recently had the dreaded ABS xmas tree dash light display and lost speedo function.

After researching this common fault I removed the module and had it rebuilt. After refitting and only a short drive the usual ABS lights came back on although this time the speedometer didn't drop out and still registered fine.

I invested in a decent scan tool and it showed a front left sensor fault so I removed it, gave it a good clean and refitted it (it was very dirty). As a precaution I also cleaned the RH front (was pretty clean). It's an Australian car and the underside, brakes, hubs etc are pretty clean as we don't get the usual corrosion from salt and snow. I'm guessing the left front was dirtier as that's the kerb side here and gets more debris and crud than the RH side.

So after a week and a few hundred kilometres with no problems I came to a very slow normal stop and felt a buzz through the brake pedal and a few seconds later the ABS light show came back on the dash (no loss of speedometer).

Just wondering if anyone has some advice on what might cause a low speed ABS activation? It happened as the car was almost at a stop (maybe 5kmh - 10mph) road surface flat and dry.

I haven't had a chance to hook the scanner up to see if its stored a code yet and I'll do a visual inspection tomorrow and check the reluctor rings etc

Thanks in advance, just looking for some pointers.

Darren.
    2001 9-5 Wagon. 2.0t auto. 158,000 km (100k miles)

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    One immediate thought is that it is the sensor wiring that is failing not the actual sensor and certain manoeuvres are causing a loss of signal. Additionally, on your model the reluctor rings crack and cause a loss of signal. The latter is not very likely because a cracked reluctor ring tends not to be intermittent.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Wagon
    Hey Geoff, cheers for the reply.
    I was thinking that too and I did check the wiring the other day. Inside the engine bay the wiring does some pretty tight bends right at the plug and when i give them a bend they do feel kind of soft under the insulation but I could be imagining that. Ill get the multimeter out over the weekend and check for continuity and resistance while working them around. The only other thing I could think of was that maybe the sensor is losing it's magnetism with age but I'm not sure if that's a known Saab thing (can happen on any car I suppose).

I took it for a short run today with my scanner giving live data from the wheel sensors. No noticeable drop outs although the reading from each sensor was slightly different (about 1kmh difference) but consistent. Strange that while standing still each sensor reads 2kmh, not sure if that relevant? I'm going to swap the sensors left to right and see if the fault transfers, might narrow it down a bit. Is the air gap adjustable?

Tone rings looked good when I cleaned the sensors last weekend but I'll give them a triple check over the weekend. I know rust on the hubs can expand and crack them but thanks to our Aussie weather its rust free, just a bit grimy, expected after 20 years I guess.

Worse case scenario is I just replace the sensors but it'd be nice to narrow it down before opening the wallet!

Will keep you posted, thanks again.