Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Jesse Anders Almarker
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '97 900 3

Lightbulb Dashboard Indicator Light - Not sure what this one means, Pa gave me his 900

Hello there all who are likeminded about me in the regard to a classic car such as the Saab 900. I have just inherited a classic Saab 900 3 from my grandfather, my father's parents drove it and they were the only owners. It's a pretty nice one, I spent $750 on it because it needed new headlights, new wipers etc and speakers. I'm 28 and I have been driving small cars for ten years, I first had a Daewoo Lanos, then a Kia Rio, then a VW Polo TDi that I gave to a friends a short time ago. Now I have inherited a classic small car, a coupe. My first cars, however, were two commodores - one VS and one VY and both were UTES. Now I found that these were too powerful so I sold them both and after I painted one, the VS - $2,500 for a purchase, $6,300 for a sale. I made nearly $4,000 on the car.

I sold the VY at a $15,000 loss because I crashed it and I was still carrying P plates in the country of Australia, this being ten years ago I never worry about it all anymore but now that I have that off my chest but I considered it a vast lesson in economics to be a nineteen year old who lost $15,000. It sucked!

But anyway here is a picture of the dashboard of my Saab, I can add more pictures around the place later but I need to know what this orange indicator light might be telling someone. I can't get one of the headlights to work on the standard setting so I thought it might be indicating something regarding this, but both headlights work on the HIGH-BEAM setting and there are only single globes in each headlight. You must know that, but if anyone can help that would be great.

Name:  DSCN1544.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  23.6 KB

My questions are,
    What is the indicator light saying? What does it represent?

And,
    How can I fix the headlight? Is it just a standard headlight fuse?

Cheers,
    Jesse

Jesse Anders Almarker
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '97 900 3
    Name:  DSCN1557.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  65.7 KB
    I checked the manual and it said that the indicator light was just for one of the light bulbs. Sorry. I checked all of the fuses too and it's in good condition so I am painting the boot today, just the portion of the boot above the taillights where there is a small taillight, the SAAB and 900 badges go there. I failed to paint them properly with the VHF can that I had and it peeled for some reason so I am using Jet Black auto paint and everything to paint the boot first, then the bonnet, then more. I'll add pictures in case anyone with a new car for the first time has some questions about their Saab. Jesse.

Jesse Anders Almarker
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '97 900 3
    So I fixed those issues and then I kept working on the car, the bonnet was pretty scratched so I have undercoated it and blocked it back as much as I can for today, I spent about 50hrs on it so far in the last seven days(felt like 150hrs) but today I left the bonnet with a little bit of orange peel on it because I am not that good with painting cars yet.
    Name:  DSCN1563.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  77.6 KB

I just need to know about fixing on some aluminum flat to the sides for trim instead of the plastic trim that was on there, I plan to recess the bolts into the aluminum and bolt on the flat to the holes, existent. Does anybody know if doing this will void the road rules in Australia? I am yet to have the car roadworthy, it is yet to be provided with a RWC certificate. The rest of the car is perfectly roadworthy but for a second I must assure you that I make that comment in light of the work to do. I am painting the bonnet black(Dad is helping tomorrow.) And, we have clear coat and everything we need here for the car. The scratches were just too bad on the bonnet and the grill was peeling so I am getting a new grill, new indicators/repeaters for the front guards and some other new pieces for the back. All of the badges are already in the post and everything else I need is in the post too.

So, will the mechanic have something bad to say about my plans with the aluminum strips for the sides of the car or will it be perfectly safe? Can someone please answer this?
    I want the car to stay as much so in original classic condition as possible but I hate the side plastics, so they are the only thing I am customizing however much I regret to do so.

Name:  DSCN1564.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  75.2 KBName:  DSCN1565.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  32.4 KB

I have spent $1,000 + on parts so far, in the last 50hrs, and installed all of the parts that arrived so far but some of it as I said is still in the mail.

Jesse.

Jesse Anders Almarker
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '97 900 3
    Name:  DSCN1597.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  98.4 KB
    So this is how it looks now. It's worth knowing to me, first of all, what is legal to the scenario with the bolts/bolt holes.

Jesse Anders Almarker
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '97 900 3
    Name:  DSCN1628.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  85.1 KB
    Here is the bonnet, finished. If anyone has any tips about filling the holes for the external trim to be replaced I would love to hear them.
    One mechanic said bolts are a legal way to fill the holes.

Jesse Anders Almarker
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '97 900 3
    I fixed it all back up and nearly finished the stereo system, it has nice speakers now and the two door speakers are going to be installed on their custom brackets when the car is back at my house, at the moment it is having new brakes fitted on monday and it has had a small service, despite what TLC I could give the car before the roadworthy. These are some pictures of the car now that most parts are back together and the sound system is nearly done. I bought a turbocharger for it, too.

Jesse Anders Almarker
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '97 900 3
    Name:  DSCN2648.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  60.0 KBName:  DSCN2652.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  52.3 KBName:  DSCN2655.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  43.8 KBName:  DSCN2659.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  60.0 KB

Hello again,

It's the end of 2021 now and we are just painting PUMPKIN back to green again, after all the panel beating.

The car was never really in a crash but Ulf(Pa) had some bumps in the 20 years he owned it. I did lots of work to the interior of the car and had most of it reupholstered, plus the rest just has to be finished or conditioned like the sun visors. They will be made in black cotton, also, as well as the roof lining which is black. The engine is mint.

It's really fast now so it's time to readjust the engine soon so that it's easier to drive. I'm just getting a 2 & 1/2 " exhaust installed to calm it down, shifting/accelerating.