Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2002 95 aero

To Sell AS IS, or Not to Sell?

Hello, regarding my 2002 Saab 95-Aero (which I LOVE so I'm really sad btw), I dont know what to do with it. I dont know for certain but my guess is it blew a head gasket because of the massive white smoke that came out of tail pipe. She is leaking coolant pretty bad up near the front on the passenger. She has just been sitting because I dont have time or real knowledge to mess with it. I did change the coolant temperature sensor awile back because my code reader read that code. Also spark plugs indicated that it was running way hot because they were white on tops. I replaced those. And my manager at apts doesnt want it sitting leaking coolant anymore. Any advice as to what to do with her? Part it out? Junk yard? Post and sell as is? I have about $4,000 invested in this car, so I hate to get rid of it but I'm trying to be realistic here. Thanks for reading . Appreciate any and all feed back, I'm a mom 3 kids work full time so I dont have resources to tow it and pay for mechanic which would obviously be ideal choice...

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    The purely financial decision to sell or keep is easier. Estimated cost of repair + operating costs (gas, insurance, maintenance, guess of other estimated repairs in 2021) = ____. If the car is a new car, then compare the operating costs of the new car (gas, insurance, maintenance, guess of repairs needed in 2021) + depreciation in 2021. That usually favors keeping the old car.

If the replacement car is a used car, then use the same formula as a new car but calculate the depreciation differently. The modified depreciation would be the value of that car one year later plus divide the cost of the used car by a few years, depending on how many years you might keep it. This fudge factor is only an approximation.

Also note that selling a car "as is" when it needs a major repair is going to be hard. Also note that there are some risk to Covid-19 when you deal with potential buyers. I would try to minimize contact with others for just another 5-6 months (subject to change).

The non-financial decision is "how much do you like your car?" I like my car. I like it that it is has a manual transmission but manuals are no longer available for that model.