Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 Wagon

Limp home mode? sluggish? NO engine warning lights

Hi All,

Just joined the forum. I scrolled through some posts but could not find my specific problem. I apologize if I missed it but hoping someone can help me out or point me in the right direction. I have a 2008 9-3 2.0 wagon automatic with 120k. Car has been running great with no issues and regular service until today. This morning it was extremely cold here in NY, single digits. Car started fine and I let it warm up to defrost for a few minutes. When I started to drive it seemed as if car was in limp home mode but no warning lights on dash. I immediately turned around and took my other car to run errands. This afternoon car running much better but car seems to be running sluggish with limited acceleration. Just taking alot longer to get up to speed and for turbo to kick in. I feel like the gas pedal is less responsive if that makes sense. I've seen a few posts about MAF sensors, ECU modules, cold weather but all of those seemed to be with engine warning lights. Any thoughts on what might be wrong or where I should start looking? Thanks in advance.

Best,

Stephan

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    This sounds like an all car non Saab specific problem and the advice is as generic as the problem.
    Use good gas and make sure your gas stays good, don't run any longer than you need to on less than half a tank of gas. In winter cold the more gas in the tank the less room for moisture condensation and in the summer heat its gas that cools the fuel pump.
    Keep your throttle body clean, important with any car, even more important. Now that tiny electric signals have replaced metal throttle cables the foot feed has become a foot request and the computer allows what it thinks is best and at 12 years and 120K miles old, if you find your throttle body is dirty it wouldn't hurt to clean the MAF .

Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 Wagon
    Hi Digger. Thanks so much for the advice. I only use premium gas but will be sure to keep the tank more than half full from now on. For what it's worth, at the time of this problem the tank was actually almost full. For sure, I will have the throttle body and MAF looked at. Thanks again for the help. It was greatly appreciated.