Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 2.3t

Oil trap hose to intake - how to remove

So in my investigation to find my oil leak and belt problem, i broke the brittle plastic oil trap to intake tube at the intake side. I cannot seem to get the piece out of the intake tube. Does anyone have any advice on this?

It would be this:
    Last edited by MikeB63; 23 January 2021 at 23:14. Reason: Added picture

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    It appears your Dropbox picture may not be shared with others and is not shown in your post.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 2.3t
    I tried to steal a picture and I guess it didn't work. Maybe this one will come out. The piece in the blue circle. It's just the red press fit bushing that clamps around the the tube. My plastic tube was so brittle, it just snapped. When I tried to pull it out, it just kept breaking. Now I am afraid of dropping what's left down the intake tube.

Name:  PCV_LI.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  49.3 KB

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    If you remove the pipe between the air mass meter and the elbow (the black pipe at the bottom middle) you can get inside and push upwards or at least prevent debris falling in.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    It's easy to remove that intake tube, I have done it a few times when replacing the turbo.

Step 19 here: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=371

You don't want bits of plastic getting into the turbo.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 2.3t
    Thanks for the input. I think Geoff's idea to remove the hose at the MAS is a good one to prevent the remaining small piece from falling into the intake tube by pushing from the bottom. I will need to secure it while removing the hose or it may fall in from the activity. From looking at pics on-line, I assume the red fitting is just a press fitting/bushing. There is no banjo bolt as noted in the WIS. I have tried pulling on this and it does not move more than 1/8". I guess the design works, cuz it ain't coming out easily. I don''t understand why this tube was made from such a brittle plastic that crumbles so easily, particularly since it's located where small pieces can do major damage.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB63 View Post
    I don''t understand why this tube was made from such a brittle plastic that crumbles so easily, particularly since it's located where small pieces can do major damage.
    Many of the plastics used on the 9000 and 9-5 have proved, over an extended period, to be unsuitable for use in the high temperature environment of the engine bay. In the majority of cases the fittings are not a problem unless they are disturbed. The plastics generally become brittle and then break when an attempt is made to disconnect them, the classic is the vacuum hose which lasts around three years before becoming more rigid but replacement with silicon solves the problem completely. Unfortunately there is no readily available replacement for the other items, one is constrained to using an OEM part which will fail again for the same reasons.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 2.3t
    Well I destroyed the red bushing while struggling to remove the piece of tube from the intake pipe, but I took Geoff's advice and removed the hose from the MAS, but I could barely reach the bottom of the tube. Instead I stuffed a wad of paper in the tube to block it. I will vacuum out the opening to remove any bits that may have fallen in. While tracing the hose back to the back of the engine, almost impossible for me to reach, I noticed that there appears to be a hose missing from the oil fill tube.

Name:  top_LI.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  58.9 KB

Hoping someone can instruct on this open hose barb on the fill tube and that the new trap hose somehow has a new bushing included, but I don't think it does.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Aero Wagon
    Open hose barb is just that, open. Nothing connects to it, they’re all like that. It definitely threw me off too the first time I stumbled upon it!

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 2.3t
    Well I guess I really didn’t understand how the retaining clip/bushing was/is installed in the intake tube. After destroying the red clip to get it out, I guess somehow there is a brass threaded connector and an oring? How is this removed? It seemed like one piece until I looked to replace it and then re-examined it. I tried to unscrew it, but it doesn’t seem to move or have anything to grip it. Is it threaded?
    Last edited by MikeB63; 29 January 2021 at 01:55.