Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 1.9TiD Vector sport

9-3 Diesel in North America & Canada

Hi all,

First time poster here !

Previously I lived in the UK market region and previously owned Volvo's and a saab. All of which were diesel !

I had , in order

2006 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD vector sport
    2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux
    2005 Volvo XC90 D5 Business edition.

Now I'm in Canada and originally was looking at saabs but caught a XC70 Volvo at a great price. It's a 2008 XC70 3.2 AWD petrol. And although it's a great car, the fuel consumption is nothing like I've ever been used to before. It's really terrible fuel consumption, and it's not an issue with the car, it's just how it is. But again I'm not used to it at all.

So to be honest the want for a saab is quite high again ! And now particularly a 9-3 !

So I wanted to ask here to find out if anyone in north america or Canada actually has a 9-3 Diesel ? either the 1.9TiD or the TTiD engine. I know they never originally sold here but maybe somebody knows of one for sale ? At this rate, left hand or right hand drive wouldn't bother me at all, I'll do either !

Looking forward to the replies !

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    There was (and maybe still is) one Saab 9-3 diesel in the USA but not more as far as I know. So the chance of finding one or even importing one will be (nearly) impossible.

http://dzlsabe.com/
    https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php...hicago.162618/

If you really want a diesel car, a VW is probably your best choice. They were sold in the USA not too long ago but not sure about Canada.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    How much do you pay for a litre of fuel in Canada at the moment?

Sorry but I have never seen the attraction of Diesel engines, possibly because the smell used to make me sick (physically). Looks as though your choice is a Saab or a Diesel.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 1.9TiD Vector sport
    @Nordwolf only one in the USA will prove quite difficult to find I'd imagine, so the only way around that would be importing a European model but to do that it has to be over 15 years old and the cost wouldn't be worth it really.

There are quite a few VW Jetta diesels here too. I suppose if there's no alternative then yes I'd go with one of them.

@GeoffR petrol and diesel are both working out around $1.09 - $1.13 a litre each. So no price difference really.

The attraction to diesel is a lot better MPG. I commute roughly 30-35kms to work one way so the savings would be a lot better fuel economy wise. I've owned the 9-3 Diesel before back in the UK and it easily did over 40 MPG and I didn't have to drive carefully to get that, fast acceleration and slightly above the speed limit.

I just find petrol consumes a lot more to do that and would need to refill more often. A 2.0t saab probably does just under 30MPG driven like that. If I drove one very carefully then yes I'd get more than 30mpg but would be going very slow and annoying a lot of people in the process.

I'd love to find a diesel one over this side of the world , the 1.9TiD shoots out 150BHP and it delivers it very well, it's actually an enjoyable car and give back like I say over 40MPG easily. A shame if I can't have one here but I guess that's how it goes !

I suppose if I don't find one I'll have to pick up a VW Jetta 2.0TDi .... Which would very easily get over 40mpg too with the DSG gearbox but it's not a saab !