Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 SportCombi 2.3t

Very High Idle

So, as in my previous thread about the weird hot-start issue, my Saab's CEL is on for, as far as I'm aware, the same P1181 code as the last few times it's come on. Now though, in both neutral and in park, the engine sits around 2500 RPM, and getting into gear is considerably more clunky than it used to be. It started doing this about a week ago, and it's been getting worse and I'm not entirely sure what to do. The throttle isn't sticking open, and I haven't found any intake leaks, so I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm also not exactly wealthy, so buying a scanner tool and driving around isn't an option. If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know!

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Sounds like an air leak in the induction system pipework.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 SportCombi 2.3t
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
    Sounds like an air leak in the induction system pipework.
    I've had that thought too. I'll see if I can find anything obvious there next. Would it be pre or post turbo, or does that not matter?

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by CalLook67 View Post
    I've had that thought too. I'll see if I can find anything obvious there next. Would it be pre or post turbo, or does that not matter?
    Look at the small diameter vacuum hoses and check that the diaphragm in the bypass valve isn't leaking as a first step but any inward leak is bad news. If you are going to do a thorough job, replacing the vacuum hoses with silicon, one at a time, would be the easiest and surest way.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 SportCombi 2.3t
    I'll definitely keep those in mind for tomorrow! I limped it home last night after work and the one time I was able to get it on boost at all, there was a very strange whooshing sound. Before this issue came up, the turbo was completely silent, so I'm assuming it's somewhere post-turbo. I really appreciate your advice on this!

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by CalLook67 View Post
    I'll definitely keep those in mind for tomorrow! I limped it home last night after work and the one time I was able to get it on boost at all, there was a very strange whooshing sound. Before this issue came up, the turbo was completely silent, so I'm assuming it's somewhere post-turbo. I really appreciate your advice on this!

I did have something similar on a 9000 when the elbow between the delivery pipe and the throttle body came off!

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 SportCombi 2.3t
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
    I did have something similar on a 9000 when the elbow between the delivery pipe and the throttle body came off!
    So I finally had some proper time to do some exploration on my car yesterday, and I found that the PCV valve right above the throttle had cracked in half, and that the vacuum line off the back of the throttle body for the evap system had fallen off. I did some jerry rigging to get both reattached and it was immediately better, now I just need to wait for the new PCV valve to come in later today and I'll hopefully have a running car again! The next job will be trying to replace the hose for the evap system as I'd like a more permanent fix.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Good to hear that you have fixed it, parts are available so it shouldn't be too difficult to source them.