Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    gary
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-5 Turbo4
    Thumbs Up:   0

9_5 hard transmission clunk, decreased performance, appreciate any thoughts!

2011 Turbo 4 113,000 miles, well cared for, 5K oil changes, etc. No problems to date

About 2 months ago, on deceleration, whether taking foot off gas or braking, my dear car would seem to drag a little. Hard to describe, but it felt as though car was being held back from drifting, maybe like a slight downshift.

Being the second owner, I thought I'd have trans fluid checked. Distant Saab mechanic told me you could only pump half of the fluid out at a time, and that it was down a quart. $300 later, the car did the same odd downshift.

Trusted local mechanic unable to look at it, so of course kept driving (BAD idea, I know). Yesterday, after driving 1 mile and stopping for a light, the car clunked and jerked hard. Mechanic was only a mile away. I limped down the shoulder with tach hitting 4.5 - 5 to reach speed of 45 mph. Each brake caused another clunk and hard lurch forward.

If it IS the transmission, did 9_5s use Lacrosse trans? Can these be competently rebuilt? Can used trans be trusted?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!
    garry

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    2002 9-3, 1999 9-5, 1993 900 S, 1986 900 S
    Sounds like your 35R wave plate in the transmission broke. It's about a $3600 repair. If they can just replace your wave plate. If the breaking plate left a lot of debris or ruined other components, more. Well, $3600 was the going rate before the pandemic anyway.

0 Not allowed!

gary
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-5 Turbo4

Thanks much, Stjarn!

Quote Originally Posted by Stjarn Goss View Post
    Sounds like your 35R wave plate in the transmission broke. It's about a $3600 repair. If they can just replace your wave plate. If the breaking plate left a lot of debris or ruined other components, more. Well, $3600 was the going rate before the pandemic anyway.
    Is this something that a regular mechanic can do, or must the car go to a transmission shop? Apparently there are multiple wave plates inside and new replacements have been hardened to resolve the problem sounds like they should all be replaced at the same time. Read that someone dropped the subframe a little and accessed the 35R thru the side cover, but obviously nothing Id do. Ill pass your super helpful intel on to the mechanic!

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    2002 9-3, 1999 9-5, 1993 900 S, 1986 900 S
    Personally, I would want it done by someone who has done it numerous times before. Such as a transmission shop. With a clear, documented warranty. And that's where that figure of $3600 is from.

More important than just replacing a broken plate is FIRST determining if additional components also have damage. Replacing other parts might not be as straightforward or simple as replacing the 35R plate.

A few GM people say they have been willing to gamble on a used transmission if they can confirm it came from a later model with the updated plate. However I don't know if there were any SAABs with the updated design. Maybe a transmission shop that has experience with SAABs would know.

Let us know how things end up for you.

0 Not allowed!

gary
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-5 Turbo4
    Thanks so much, Stjarn, I'll follow your much appreciated and sound advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Stjarn Goss View Post
    Personally, I would want it done by someone who has done it numerous times before. Such as a transmission shop. With a clear, documented warranty. And that's where that figure of $3600 is from.

More important than just replacing a broken plate is FIRST determining if additional components also have damage. Replacing other parts might not be as straightforward or simple as replacing the 35R plate.

A few GM people say they have been willing to gamble on a used transmission if they can confirm it came from a later model with the updated plate. However I don't know if there were any SAABs with the updated design. Maybe a transmission shop that has experience with SAABs would know.

Let us know how things end up for you.

0 Not allowed!