Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2002 9-5

lifter replacement help

Greetings:
    New member looking for good info on assessing and possibly replacing some lifters. I have owned this 2002 9-5 for 10 years. Upgraded pcv 10 years ago. Recently, my son(his car now) was driving and oil light came on. Lifter noise started soon after while making his way slowly home. I had a shop flush the engine with no real improvement. I brought the car home and dropped the oil pan and cleaned it for the first time(now 145,000 miles). Did not look as bad as some I have seen shared by others. With the cost for another used car for my son, I would really like to give this task a try.
    I would like to try is pulling the valve covers and assessing/changing lifters. I am not finding real good info on this task. Searched the archives here and elsewhere. I recognize that the oil pump itself could also be an issue, but thought I would start with lifters.
    I am grateful for any advice from others that have done this task.
    Questions:
    1) How do I assess lifter function? Is it as simple as looking for squishy versus firm lifters? Can I do this with camshaft in place?
    2) How do I ensure that I don't mess with timing as I work on removing camshafts?
    3) Does it make sense to check on sludge possibility in all the black bolts with oil passageway as an early task?
    4) Any good tutorials out there? I have not found any that are very thorough or complete. I do have Haynes manual with some info.
    Thanks in advance for your help. I hope to begin tomorrow.
    Greg

Saab(s)
    2002 9-5

lifters

Started in yesterday. Pulled and cleaned the valve cover. Am going pull the chain tensioner before removing the cams-not clear on the process. Will try cleaning the lifters and assess whether they can be reused or not.
    Am concerned about sludge I discovered on the walls surrounding the timing chain and how to clean/minimize.
    Still hoping for any insights from those that have dabbled.
    Thanks, Greg

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Hi Greg, welcome to SaabWorld.

Did you download and install the Saab WIS? There is a lot of info for these kind or procedures in there. I don't have experience with the valve lifters but the WIS sure is the best place to start.

Find more info here: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=33310

Saab(s)
    2002 9-5
    Frank, There are a few tidbits there. Thanks!
    Greg