Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 2.3t

Front crankshaft sleeve -seal leak

Has anyone had to sleeve the crankshaft to stop an oil seal leak? I replaced the front seal and the oil pump o-ring on my 2007 9-5, but I am still leaking oil in this area. I am going to replace the seal again (and maybe the o-ring but that snap ring is a bear). I have seen sleeves that can be fit on the crankshaft end if this is worn or damaged and was wondering if others have tried this or if this is not recommended.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Aero Sport Combi
    The sleeve is only necessary if the old seal has worn a groove into the pully.

Check that the PCV system is working correctly. When my oil trap was clogged, crankcase pressure pushed my crank seal all the way out of the oil pump cover.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 2.3t
    Wow! I just replaced the seal a second time in case I erred in some way, but the leak is still there. How was your oil trap clogged and what did you do to unclog it? I have already replaced the hose from the trap to the cobra pipe because it broke the last time I replaced the seal. I am planning on replacing the other two hoses and maybe the oil pressure sensor, but was not considering doing anything with the trap itself. I do have oil around the fill spout which I have not yet determined where it is coming from, but suspected the hose from the valve cover. Seems hard to believe it is coming all the way up the fill pipe, but it does appear that way.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    The quick way to test your oil trap for being clogged in the glove test. Take the dipstick out, put a surgical type glove over the dipstick tube and if it isnt tight, put a rubber band around it. Start the engine. Vacuum should try to suck the glove slowly into the tube. Shut the engine off before it actually sucks the glove in obviously.

Then you should also disconnect the vacuum hose under the throttle body that goes to the PCV check valve. You should be able to suck air through that hose slowly it won't be a lot. You should not be able to blow air into that hose. If you can blow air through it then the check valve is blown out and allowing turbo pressure to pressurize the crankcase.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 2.3t
    Okay so is there any trick to disconnecting these hoses from the trap? I've gotten two hoses replaced, unfortunately not the check valve hose. I cannot find any way to get leverage or hold the tabs in on the connector. Very frustrating. I thought working from below would make it easier, but this is ridiculous. Also, it appears to me that this won't solve my leak, but at least it will eliminate these items. I think the oil pressure switch may be next.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Well i had a whole nice long post and lost it.

Cliff's notes version:

Use one hand to squeeze the clip and the other hand to pry the line loose with a small prybar. There is just enough room on each side of the exhaust for one arm as long as you dont spend too much time in the gym.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 2.3t
    Yeah I can only get one hand in there. I am going to try a small pair of vise grips to hold the clips. I cannot believe hold difficult it is to pull these off and even to get them on. I guess maybe some of these have been on for 15yrs so maybe they've fused a bit. I'm really beginning to think that my leak is at the pressure switch and I am not relishing the thought of removing the starter to get to it. Thanks for the reply.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    If you think you might have to replace the pressure switch you might as well do the oil trap at the same time.

Do yourself a favor and take the front exhaust section off. It comes off a lot easier than it looks and will give you a ton of room to work. Don't try to remove the o2 sensors from the exhaust, just unplug them and fish the wires out before you drop the exhaust.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 2.3t
    Well I replaced the hose and check valve only to find the one I removed was still working. I had the new pressure switch and proceeded to remove the starter. After struggling to get to the appropriate nuts and bolts, I got the starter out to find the oil pressure switch bone dry and apparently replaced by the former owner. Looking around, it appears that the main/rear seal is leaking along with the oil trap at the engine wall. So a lot of work for little gain and a continuing oil leak. Might be time for the mechanic in a bottle to slow the leaks and buy some time. At least I have the experience of replacing the oil pump o-ring, front seal, removing and re-installing the starter and replacing all the PCV hoses!

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Did you do the glove test to verify the oil trap isnt clogged? For the $30 or so that it costs i would just replace it while youre in there.