Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Mounting the TomTom GO 910 in the Saab 9-3 (2006)

This guide was made in 2007.

The TomTom GO 910 is a navigation system with many interesting features. The main qualities are an excellent navigation system, Bluetooth for connecting to a mobile phone, 20 GB hard drive for storing maps for the USA, Canada and Europe, jukebox and storage for about 18GB of MP3 files and connection to an iPod.

There are many reviews about the unit available on the internet so I will not go into much detail about all the features. These pages describe how I installed the unit in a SAAB 9-3. The silver screen surround fits in nicely with the Aero trim. This mounting position is a bit low but I prefer the integrated look and the unit is not very noticeable from the outside.

This solution allows for easy removal of both the unit and mount so it can easily be moved to another car. Click here to see larger pictures.

I purchased a plastic disc with double-sided 3M tape on eBay for $8.00 including shipping.

Name:  page29_1.jpg
Views: 3311
Size:  38.7 KB

Name:  page29_2.jpg
Views: 3503
Size:  39.3 KB

This is how the TomTom mount fits on the smooth disc.

Name:  page29_3.jpg
Views: 3430
Size:  34.6 KB

Remove the rubber mat in the console and you'll find a smooth surface for mounting the disc.

Name:  page29_4.jpg
Views: 3561
Size:  36.6 KB

Stick the disc in the console and put the mount on. The best position for the disc is against the left side of the console and against the trim for the shifter. There is enough space next to the unit for using the 12V power outlet. All cables fit nicely behind the unit,

Name:  page29_5.jpg
Views: 3433
Size:  41.1 KB

There is enough room between the console and shifter (in Park) for mounting and removing the TomTom.

Name:  page29_6.jpg
Views: 3376
Size:  38.3 KB

Name:  page29_7.jpg
Views: 3634
Size:  49.2 KB

The TomTom has excellent reception so it receives plenty of satellite signals in this low position in the dash, even without an external antenna.

Name:  page29_8.jpg
Views: 3298
Size:  29.9 KB

Full control over an iPod.

Name:  page29_9.jpg
Views: 3239
Size:  35.1 KB

Playlists in large, easy to read fonts.

Name:  page29_10.jpg
Views: 3251
Size:  41.8 KB

Current song playing.

Name:  page29_11.jpg
Views: 3336
Size:  36.4 KB

iPod in the center console. You can connect the TomTom directly to the Aux-in so the iPod plays through the nav unit. I found the headphone output of the iPod allows for a bit more volume so you don't have to turn up the car stereo too high.

Name:  page29_12.jpg
Views: 3365
Size:  45.5 KB

With all the cool music features, it's almost easy to forget it is an excellent navigation unit.

Name:  page29_13.jpg
Views: 3305
Size:  35.7 KB

And a Bluetooth unit for using your mobile phone.

Name:  page29_14.jpg
Views: 3246
Size:  39.7 KB

© 2007 Frank Wulfers

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Turbo X Sedan manual, all options
    Very tidy, but isn't it a bit of a challenge to glance at the directions and keep your eyes on the road? I've gone with tucking my GPS between the door and the steering wheel, suctioned to the window. Doesn't block vision and yet is still at eye level.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Yes, that's one drawback of that location. The advantage is you can't see the GPS from the outside so it won't attract any thieves. And I didn't really like having something stuck to my window all the time. The voice instructions were often enough to get good use out of the TomTom in that location.

There is also a law in California (where I was living at the time) which states you can not have anything attached to your windshield.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 SS 2.0T
    Only in California...

Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    I had a TomTom 510 (before purchasing a Saab with an installed GPS unit).
    I bought the optional wiring kit, moved the TT over to the far left side (yes, attached to the windshield - not a crime in Ontario), hardwired the electrical into the car and connected the iPod (which was attached to the centre console a (can't recall the company) mounting braket).

The only real downside I ever found to the TomTom's was the fact that the iPod isn't charged via the connection.
    Otherwise, great device.
    Easily upgradeable, fantastic reception, and customizable with other voices.
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca