Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    06' 93t
    I did add amps. One 2-channel powers all four speakers in the rear shelf and the other mono-block amp powers the sub box. I actually got a ‘line out converter’ which allows the amp input to use the rear speaker wires rather than trying to find the ‘pre-amp out’ in the stock radio. If you’re looking for a serious sounding system this is the way to go. If you are going to add an amp, don’t bother replacing the door speakers unless they’re blown. The only challenge is running a power line from the battery to the trunk. A 2-channel ‘line out converter’ will have left (+,-) wires, right (+,-) wire and a ground…so four wires plus the ground. It takes your four rear speaker wires and converts them to a pre-amp signal RCA input.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.8T V6 Turbo Convertible Aero
    Thank you for the info. I will review the line out converter info. I would just do amp for the rear side panels.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 SS Vector
    Quote Originally Posted by DjTicojon75 View Post
    I installed the Kappa components set (minus the tweeters). The magnet is big so I had to do a little work to the plastic housing that is attached to the door. It could have been easily cut with a dremel or small modeling saw but I grabbed a small pair of pliers/cutters and snapped of as much as I needed to...it took about 60 seconds.
    I am about to do the exact same instal. Have modified the Saab plastic speaker housing but one issue I am not so sure of and would appreciate your advice. Did you use the standard connector that comes with the Kappas? Seems very large, so wasn't sure about using it inside a door panel.

Saab(s)
    06 9-3 CV Auto
    Frank, much appreciate your hand holding instructions!

Bought the older style BA speakers on Ebay for $45 (S35 you used, not the newer model SE35), followed your instructions and installation was a breeze.

Now my Saab Stereo sounds so much better, it gets better milage and my hair is no longer greying.... Well one of those is true!

Shane
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t, 2006 9-3 Aero
    Dear Dr. Frank Saab (Wulfers),

I took your advice for medicating my auditory issues while driving. The first step of changing the diseased component (dash speakers) was a common sense move that borders on brilliant. I would have to say it ranks up there with sliced bread. The second step of recycling the connection points to the replacement of the diseased component increased the brilliance of the remedy. I feel that my audio sensory issues will be on the mend.

Much appreciated,

A happy patient
    When a Saab dies, the world becomes a little less quirky.

Saab Fan
    I have a 2010 SS and will be replacing all 7 speakers and will be keeping the head unit. Not adding an amp. Looks like the S35's are discontinued. Anything 'better/same' quality but the same size so it will fit?

Shane
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by net1994 View Post
    I have a 2010 SS and will be replacing all 7 speakers and will be keeping the head unit. Not adding an amp. Looks like the S35's are discontinued. Anything 'better/same' quality but the same size so it will fit?
    I'm not sure what is available, but it's going to have to be light. Unless they've upped the power of the amps, even my Infinity Kappa's (rear) and Boston's in the front, while disconnecting the center speaker, maxes the levels fast. I found an article at, I think, saabnet, where someone mentions "splicing" in new amps. I'm going to go that direction. I've talked to my Dad (former Saab tech) about it, he says it's easy and would work fine. I haven't gotten all the details at this time, due to other projects. However, if you feel capable, I'd go that route and add amps... you'll need it.

Saab Fan
    I called crutchfield and now a bit confused about two things:

1. I hear people say to discconnect the center speaker after upgrading and not use it. Others say it will sound great after putting in a new center speaker? Should I upgrade it or not? If not, should I disconnect it after upgrading the rest?

2. What are the sizes of the center dash and rear speakers? Crutchfield said to use 3.5" speakers, but will they fit? I thought I heard they are 4" speakers? Crutchfield wants me to use Polk Audio db351 3.5" speakers for everything but the doors.

Shane
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by net1994 View Post
    I called crutchfield and now a bit confused about two things:

1. I hear people say to discconnect the center speaker after upgrading and not use it. Others say it will sound great after putting in a new center speaker? Should I upgrade it or not? If not, should I disconnect it after upgrading the rest?

2. What are the sizes of the center dash and rear speakers? Crutchfield said to use 3.5" speakers, but will they fit? I thought I heard they are 4" speakers? Crutchfield wants me to use Polk Audio db351 3.5" speakers for everything but the doors.
    Well, welcome to the world of the misinformation. Or is that disinformation? Either way, the best way to know is to actually look and hope it's not a mirage. Ok. The rears have room for 4" AND 6x9's. Yep! There are 4 spots for speakers. 2 for 4" and 2 for 6x9's. Not sure if the rear deck could hold up all the weight, but you could put 4 speakers back there! A jammin' machine on wheels! But wait! How do you power that much speaker? That's where I will be "splicing" in my amps.

And YES! Disconnect the odd center speaker. It's sucking power from the rest. The door speakers are 6.5" speakers. There should be no worries for space in the doors or rear deck. I haven't upgraded my doors, yet. Now, I have a '97 900 that I wanted to upgrade as well. It worked out because the amp in that system was integrated in the stereo unit. More easily bypassed. When I "splice" mine in, I have to be aware of which speakers I will be amping. In the '97, it powered the rears only, I believe. In this generation of stereo system, I believe it powers the doors and the rears.

I know this went afar from what you were asking, but you will be underwhelmed when you want more volume. So, I wanted to address the option.

There is a link here that gives a schematic of the different stereo systems available in this generation of Saabs. Then grab your infotainment manual and check out where things are located. Also, Frank could answer some of your questions better than I, I'm sure. Let's hope he's watching. Don't be embarrassed by your questions. We have all asked them and some are still looking for definitive answers. They exist... somewhere in this world. AND... Crutchfield is very informative but not much help when it comes to Saabs. 10:1 they were reaching for the 10' pole when they heard you mention Saab.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=175652 Try this link for some decent info.
    Last edited by ShaneB4Saab; 09 April 2012 at 02:12.

Saab Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB4Saab View Post
    Well, welcome to the world of the misinformation. Or is that disinformation? Either way, the best way to know is to actually look and hope it's not a mirage. Ok. The rears have room for 4" AND 6x9's. Yep! There are 4 spots for speakers. 2 for 4" and 2 for 6x9's. Not sure if the rear deck could hold up all the weight, but you could put 4 speakers back there! A jammin' machine on wheels! But wait! How do you power that much speaker? That's where I will be "splicing" in my amps.

And YES! Disconnect the odd center speaker. It's sucking power from the rest. The door speakers are 6.5" speakers. There should be no worries for space in the doors or rear deck. I haven't upgraded my doors, yet. Now, I have a '97 900 that I wanted to upgrade as well. It worked out because the amp in that system was integrated in the stereo unit. More easily bypassed. When I "splice" mine in, I have to be aware of which speakers I will be amping. In the '97, it powered the rears only, I believe. In this generation of stereo system, I believe it powers the doors and the rears.

I know this went afar from what you were asking, but you will be underwhelmed when you want more volume. So, I wanted to address the option.

There is a link here that gives a schematic of the different stereo systems available in this generation of Saabs. Then grab your infotainment manual and check out where things are located. Also, Frank could answer some of your questions better than I, I'm sure. Let's hope he's watching. Don't be embarrassed by your questions. We have all asked them and some are still looking for definitive answers. They exist... somewhere in this world. AND... Crutchfield is very informative but not much help when it comes to Saabs. 10:1 they were reaching for the 10' pole when they heard you mention Saab.

Saba’s ES2 150/7 Stereo Upgrade, OR 'How To Add Aftermarket Amps/Speakers to '03-'06 - SaabCentral Forums Try this link for some decent info.
    Thanks shane! I was wondering if anyone would ever get to my questions. I'm thinking of buying 2 pairs of Boston Acoustics S35 speakers. Unfortunately they have been discontinued a while back, but I found them on a few websites new for a decent price. Going to put two in dash and two in rear deck, even though they are a measly 3.5". Should I use Bass Blockers on the S35's?

But for the rear deck, could I add two 6x9" speakers instead of the Boston Acoustics S35? Just take the wires that would go to the 4" stock speakers and connect them to the 6x9" speakers? Wishful thinking? Or can I only really use 6x9"s with a new amp?

Everyone has said I will loose a bit of volume with the change over. Well I hope not too much as I would never, EVER add amps myself as I'm not that electronically inclined.