Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB4Saab View Post
    There is a link here that gives a schematic of the different stereo systems available in this generation of Saabs. Then grab your infotainment manual and check out where things are located. Also, Frank could answer some of your questions better than I, I'm sure. Let's hope he's watching.
    I am reading the replies in this thread but memories and experiences of my Saab 9-3 are fading a bit. I leave it up to the more knowledgeable members to help others.

Here is the thread about all the different audio systems: http://saabworld.net/f146/saab-9-3-a...-2006-a-25259/

Shane
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t, 2006 9-3 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by net1994 View Post
    Thanks shane! I was wondering if anyone would ever get to my questions. I'm thinking of buying 2 pairs of Boston Acoustics S35 speakers. Unfortunately they have been discontinued a while back, but I found them on a few websites new for a decent price. Going to put two in dash and two in rear deck, even though they are a measly 3.5". Should I use Bass Blockers on the S35's?

But for the rear deck, could I add two 6x9" speakers instead of the Boston Acoustics S35? Just take the wires that would go to the 4" stock speakers and connect them to the 6x9" speakers? Wishful thinking? Or can I only really use 6x9"s with a new amp?

Everyone has said I will loose a bit of volume with the change over. Well I hope not too much as I would never, EVER add amps myself as I'm not that electronically inclined.
    Yep! You can add 6x9's. That's what I have. I just need to add the amp. I need to go look that "splicing" article up.

This article can help and confuse, a bit. It just shows the complexity of the issue, but does clarify some practical options.

Aftermarket stereo for 2004 9-3 2.0T? Possible??! - SaabCentral Forums,

or this one http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7405
    Last edited by ShaneB4Saab; 09 April 2012 at 15:57.
    When a Saab dies, the world becomes a little less quirky.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 SS 2.0T
    I have a 2010 SS and will be replacing all 7 speakers and will be keeping the head unit. Not adding an amp. Looks like the S35's are discontinued. Anything 'better/same' quality but the same size so it will fit?
    You might find the following else where at a better price, but here you go...

For the front dash L & R: Amazon.com: Boston Acoustics Se35 3.5-Inch 2 Way Se Series Pair of Car Speakers: Car Electronics

For the front center, and rear deck L & R: Amazon.com: Boston Acoustics 4" SE-Series 2-Way Coaxial Car Speakers: Car Electronics

You wont gain much if anything by changing the front door woofers. I would not bother changing thme until they are shot. They do a pretty decent job. The other OEM speakers suck. Upgrading to the BA SE3.5s and SE4.5s will make a big diff for little money...

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3 Linear
    This has been the most helpful Saab stereo thread I have ever seen...and I've seen a lot of them. Many thanks to all who have contributed. You have probably saved me hundreds of dollars, time and frustration.

As of yesterday, I have removed the center 4" dash speaker and replaced the 4" rear speakers with Polk DXI 690 6x9's. They provide a more "full" sound, but still miss on the low end due to being powered by the head unit. I'm about to order the BA S35's from Amazon. $44.00 is a steal if they sound as good as all of you guys say. After much deliberation. I'm leaving the 6.5's in the front doors alone. They are not blown (fixed some door rattles yesterday) and finding a good alternative sounds challenging.

The last idea I am kicking around is adding an Infinity Basslink sub to the rear. I'm not looking to thump down the road, but I would like more bass in the rear if the car. Anyone have any luck in this area? Best Buy has them on sale right now online for $172.00 down from $299.00.

This guy makes it sound too easy by tapping into the tailor fuse in the trunk.

Easy powered subwoofer install in a 2005 Saab 9-3...

Could I power the Polk 6x9's with the amp included on the Basslink sub?

Thanks again for all of the advice!
    Last edited by Shamrock; 14 April 2012 at 17:40. Reason: Font size

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 SS 2.0T
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    This has been the most helpful Saab stereo thread I have ever seen...and I've seen a lot of them. Many thanks to all who have contributed. You have probably saved me hundreds of dollars, time and frustration.

As of yesterday, I have removed the center 4" dash speaker and replaced the 4" rear speakers with Polk DXI 690 6x9's. They provide a more "full" sound, but still miss on the low end due to being powered by the head unit. I'm about to order the BA S35's from Amazon. $44.00 is a steal if they sound as good as all of you guys say. After much deliberation. I'm leaving the 6.5's in the front doors alone. They are not blown (fixed some door rattles yesterday) and finding a good alternative sounds challenging.

The last idea I am kicking around is adding an Infinity Basslink sub to the rear. I'm not looking to thump down the road, but I would like more bass in the rear if the car. Anyone have any luck in this area? Best Buy has them on sale right now online for $172.00 down from $299.00.

This guy makes it sound too easy by tapping into the tailor fuse in the trunk.

Easy powered subwoofer install in a 2005 Saab 9-3...

Could I power the Polk 6x9's with the amp included on the Basslink sub?

Thanks again for all of the advice!
    I have heard good things about the basslink. Seems like a good deal. I'm 99.99998% sure you can not power your 6x9s off the basslink amp. I would add it if you feel you need additional bass, which you probably do...since you don't have full range (lower freq.) sound going to the 6x9s. You could add an amp for less, but may not get quite as much bass as a basslink would provide. It's really not that hard to add an amp...just kind of time consuming. It may seem overwhelming, but again it's not that tough.

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3 Linear
    Quote Originally Posted by Cafasco View Post
    I have heard good things about the basslink. Seems like a good deal. I'm 99.99998% sure you can not power your 6x9s off the basslink amp. I would add it if you feel you need additional bass, which you probably do...since you don't have full range (lower freq.) sound going to the 6x9s. You could add an amp for less, but may not get quite as much bass as a basslink would provide. It's really not that hard to add an amp...just kind of time consuming. It may seem overwhelming, but again it's not that tough.
    Thanks, Cafasco. I'm not sure I have the stomach for the Basslink or an amp. I'll probably install the BA S35's and call it a day on the stereo. It sounds pretty good right now anyway.

I have 2 other things to address. I would love to find out how to clean the insides of the headlights. They have become oxidized on the inside. Also, the a/c has a clicking noise initially when turned on. Both things are driving me crazy!

These things along with a brake job in a few weeks will keep me busy.

I appreciate your reply.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 SS Vector
    The BA35se is the newer model of the BA35s and will fit as has same dimensions. I have replaced all my speakers except for the centre dash speaker. I have BA35s in the dash and BA45s in the rear. In the doors I have Infinity Kappa component sub woofers. The system now really rocks hard. I started out this time last year as a complete audio gumbie, read this thread and got motivated to change my dash speakers. I have 6*9s for the rear deck but seriously questioning now if I want to instal them which requires an additional amp.

The jury still seems to be out on the centre dash speaker. Disconnect it seems to be the consensus view. Replace it? It is not clear this achieves anything. Would appreciate if someone has something to add to this debate.

Saab Fan
    I have a 2010 9-3 w/o Bose. Just had the shop install Boston Accoustics SE35's in dash right/left and SE45's in rear deck and center dash. They installed Polk Audio db651's in doors. But something is off a bit. Bass is almost non-existent and there is a bit of distortion with a weak mid range. The stock saab door speakers sounded better than the Polks, and had a LOT MORE bass than the polks. Did I buy the wrong speakers for the doors? Here are the polk specs:
    Sensitivity 92 dB at 1 watt
    Frequency Response 50 - 22k Hz
    RMS Power Range (Watts) 6-55
    Peak Power Handling (Watts) 165
    Impedance (Ohms) 4

I thought I read somewhere that the original saab door speakers were for 2 Ohms and if you put in anything but 2 Ohms is will mess up the soundstange? Seriously thinking of putting the original speakers back in the doors.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 SS Vector
    I thought I read somewhere that the original saab door speakers were for 2 Ohms and if you put in anything but 2 Ohms is will mess up the soundstange? Seriously thinking of putting the original speakers back in the doors.
    That is correct, door speakers need to be 2 Ohm and component ie sub woofer only. The door speakers are a real pain to get at in these cars but try swapping back to std. Did the shop give you the extra 4.5" BA left over from the pair when they installed the centre dash? Lot of peole here would be interested in one speaker only!

Saab Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by nijee View Post
    That is correct, door speakers need to be 2 Ohm and component ie sub woofer only. The door speakers are a real pain to get at in these cars but try swapping back to std. Did the shop give you the extra 4.5" BA left over from the pair when they installed the centre dash? Lot of peole here would be interested in one speaker only!
    I probably won't be able to put the old door speakers back in, until this weekend. Should I not use the stereo at all until then-will it damage the other speakers or head unit? Or the speakers will be ok, but just sound awful until the swap out?

Are there any better door speakers than the stock units that are 2 Ohms ?
    Last edited by net1994; 18 April 2012 at 12:09.