Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 SS Vector
    Quote Originally Posted by net1994 View Post
    I probably won't be able to put the old door speakers back in, until this weekend. Should I not use the stereo at all until then-will it damage the other speakers or head unit? Or the speakers will be ok, but just sound awful until the swap out?

Are there any better door speakers than the stock units that are 2 Ohms ?
    Sorry, need someone like Cafasco to answer questions about the impact of the 4 ohm speakers. Assume if you do not turn them up too loud should be OK.

I have used Infinity Kappa component set for my doors. Discarded the tweeters and crossovers and just used the subwoofer speaker. Have to say they are superb but my stock foor speakers were blown so I had nothing to compare to. The instal is pretty straightforward, you have to modify the plastic housing a bit but this allows you to use the same mounting holes as the std speaker .

I have BAs in the dash and rear like you. My system now rocks pretty hard. Very happy with it!!!

Saab Fan
    I've posted some of this earlier, but after further listening and doing some more reading online, have a few new questions.

I have 7 speaker setup in my 2010 SS. I replaced the front dash R/L with 3.5 Boston Acoustics S35's 4 Ohm speakers. The center dash & rears got BA Se45 4" speakers rated for 4 Ohms. The side doors got 6.5" Polk audio db651s 4 ohm speakers. Did not add an amp and keeping stock head unit. After further listening my new setup sounds really bad. The stock units sounded better. I've read contradictory information about the speakers, so hope you can answer the below:

1. Is the center dash stock speakers 2 ohms or 4 ohms? I dropped a BA SE45 speaker in the center and this speaker is 4 Ohms.
    2. Per crutchfield's recommendation, I replaced the stock door 2 Ohm speakers with Polk 2-way 4 Ohm speakers. Would this Ohm mismatch account for the greatly reduced bass and overall distortion of sound?
    3. Any better 2 Ohm 6.5" speakers than the stock units? Seriously thinking about putting the stock door speakers back in.

What is odd is that the new speakers are much louder than stock. But I now have virtually no bass in the car and there is some noticeable distortion. Can you pick out the problem from the above info?
    Last edited by net1994; 19 April 2012 at 02:19.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    This is from the WIS for MY2009. All speakers are 4 Ohm, except for the door speakers. If the 2007+ models are the same as the earlier models, the door speakers are pretty much only used for lower frequencies.

Name:  speakers Saab 9-3.gif
Views: 4923
Size:  28.7 KB

Saab Fan
    Would using 4ohm speakers in doors where there should be 2 ohms cause distortion?

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3 Linear
    Quote Originally Posted by net1994 View Post
    Would using 4ohm speakers in doors where there should be 2 ohms cause distortion?
    My guess would be...probably. Hows that for a committed answer?

Just installed the Boston SE35s yesterday. I ordered S35s and they sent SE35s, but no worries. They fit all the same and sound GREAT! Nice noticeable upgrade in sound for $50 bucks. The Infinity Basslink Sub is in transit as I type and due to arrive on Wednesday. I have decided to pay some professionals to do that job so I don't screw things up to badly, so stay tuned. I plan on replacing brake pads and painting calipers next weekend, so my hands are full at present time.

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3 Linear
    [FONT=Verdana]UPDATE

I had the Infinity Basslink Sub installed yesterday and my God does the stereo sound amazing now! It is EXACTLY how I ALWAYS wanted my Saab stereos to sound! Highly recommended and thanks to all for the recommendations![/FONT]

Shane
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t, 2006 9-3 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    [FONT=Verdana]UPDATE

I had the Infinity Basslink Sub installed yesterday and my God does the stereo sound amazing now! It is EXACTLY how I ALWAYS wanted my Saab stereos to sound! Highly recommended and thanks to all for the recommendations![/FONT]
    Congrats! Any pics or steps that you can share? Would be cool to see!
    When a Saab dies, the world becomes a little less quirky.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    gdavies, I moved your post to a new thread: http://saabworld.net/f8/audio-upgrad...ertible-25888/

This dash speaker upgrade thread is getting quite big and mostly applies to much more than dash speakers.

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3 Linear
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB4Saab View Post
    Congrats! Any pics or steps that you can share? Would be cool to see!

I'll see about snapping some pics of the finished product. Best Buy did the install so I don't have any pictures on the process.

This article peaked my interest. I've recently become the proud owner of a 2004 93 Convertible. I followed Cafasco's links (thanks for that by the way ) and today got a pair of SE35 and SE45 Boston speakers. Can't wait to put them in! Question though, someone on this thread mentioned he (or she) tried to get the center grill off and it seemed like it did not pry off like the L and R sides. Can someone clarify if the center grill should also pry off or is there some other trick? Thanks to everyone for advice and suggestions.