Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Shane
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t, 2006 9-3 Aero
    Yep, it will. Just look for the tabs when you first start. Then pry at those tabs to not bend to the point of breaking. It shouldn't get to that point, but some people are aggressive. Use a smooth flat-head screwdriver and gently start prying up. If you need, grab another to maintain the gap you created with the first screwdriver.
    When a Saab dies, the world becomes a little less quirky.

All right, that works. Can't wait to get these in, although I've got commitments tomorrow so it'll have to wait for the weekend. Thanks much for the help, I'll let you know how it goes.

Shane
    Saab(s)
    No problem. I did the same to mine. It's much cleaner. Tho it does takes some bass away. Can get that back when upgrading the amps and door speakers.

Center speaker has me a little baffled. I've got the cover off, but I can't see how the speaker is held in. No mounting screws that I can see. Anyone have a hint on how to remove it?

Shane
    Saab(s)
    I can't remember (only did one ), but I thought they were torx as well. Four, I believe, in each corner of the speaker. Lean over the hood and see what you can see. If height is an issue, hang from a nearby tree, garage ceiling or get a crane. Or get a mirror and use it to see.

Well, got the 3.5s in. Wow, big difference! That was the cheapest and easiest stereo upgrade I've ever done. So happy I just ordered another pair of the Boston SE3.5s for the rear panels. I know it won't make the difference that the front's do, but for about $60 delivered, and about 20 minute install, I figured any improvement would be well worth it.

Still can't figure out that front center speaker. No screws, at least that I can tell. There are 3 'spring clips' on around the lip of the speaker, not sure what else to call them. But no other visible retainers. The very back of the speaker (the last 1/2" or so) is covered by the dash. I'm perplexed on this one. I don't want to start forcing anything and end up breaking something. But I've got the replacement 4" speakers here so I'd like to replace that one.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3 Conv. Linear
    I think somewhere on here somebody explained you have to unclip those clips but be careful they don't fall in

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    For 2007+ models, the WIS shows these instructions for the center speaker.

Use a screwdriver to carefully press in the 3 clips of the speaker. Remove the speaker.

OK, back in a few with progress report...

Yep, it was the three clips I saw. Kind of anti-intuitive... But I got the center speaker out. The new speaker (4" Boston SE45) is deeper than the hole. It bottoms out on what feels like some vent ducting. So it won't seat on the original speaker mounting surface. I think, however that the speaker grill when put back in place will sit on top of the speaker and put a very gentle pressure on the speaker to keep it settled in and not vibrate. Seems pretty Mickey Mouse, but don't see any other obvious solutions. Going to sleep on it and see if I get any brainstorms in the middle of the night. I will say that the sound system with the 3 dash speakers replaced is pretty much night and day difference. I do think I agree with previous statements on this thread that the bang for the buck comes from replacing the L&R dash speakers and the middle is not worth the time and effort. It's the curse of us anal individuals, L&R just aren't enough!

Guess the next step will be to figure out how to pull the front door panels...