Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 SS 2.0T
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hart View Post
    Yep, it was the three clips I saw. Kind of anti-intuitive... But I got the center speaker out. The new speaker (4" Boston SE45) is deeper than the hole. It bottoms out on what feels like some vent ducting. So it won't seat on the original speaker mounting surface. I think, however that the speaker grill when put back in place will sit on top of the speaker and put a very gentle pressure on the speaker to keep it settled in and not vibrate. Seems pretty Mickey Mouse, but don't see any other obvious solutions. Going to sleep on it and see if I get any brainstorms in the middle of the night. I will say that the sound system with the 3 dash speakers replaced is pretty much night and day difference. I do think I agree with previous statements on this thread that the bang for the buck comes from replacing the L&R dash speakers and the middle is not worth the time and effort. It's the curse of us anal individuals, L&R just aren't enough!

Guess the next step will be to figure out how to pull the front door panels...
    Greetings! So did you, or anyone else, figure out if there was a way to install a better 4" speaker in the center (i.e. BA45se)? I just now got around to disconnecting and removing the pos oem center speaker and can't really see how to install a different speaker very easily...

Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    That's true for <=MY06 but they changed to a regular setup for 2007 when they introduced the GM audio head unit.
    This is GREAT news if and when I decide to change out my sound system. For now though, looks like I'm replacing the rears with a new old stock MB Quart 4 inch.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ----John Lennon

Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 convertible
    This is a terrific thread and I'm looking forward to upgrading my 9-3's front speakers this spring. So I was disappointed to discover the recommended speakers have been discontinued, Boston Acoustics S35 3 1/2" S Series. Crutchfield's website suggests a pair of speakers nobody has discussed here, Kicker 40C S354 and JL Audio TR350-CXi. Amazon has what appears to be very similar speakers, Boston Acoustics Se35 3 1/2" but they're priced twice as expensive.

Any recommendations?
    [FONT=verdana]Never met a SAAB I didn't like. [/FONT]

Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 Arc Convertible, 2008 9-3 2.0T
    I think Boston Acoustic has gotten out of the auto sound business. You will have little luck finding S35's or SE35's at any price. Anything with similar specs to the Boston's will certainly be much better than the stock speakers. The JL's don't look to bad to me. I also have looked at these:
    Lanzar - VX320 - VX 3.5'' Two-Way Speakers

About $20/pair
    Last edited by AVguy; 17 April 2013 at 00:32.

Saab(s)
    93 convertible
    And this is my choice - much, much better than boston and other coaxial speakers: Hertz HL 70-4 + U-dimensions XT2

Saab(s)
    93 convertible
    this is my install:

Name:  2013-01-15-045.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  31.8 KB

Saab(s)
    93 convertible
    Name:  2013-01-16-057.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  22.2 KB

Saab(s)
    93 convertible
    Name:  2013-01-15-044.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  40.7 KB

Saab(s)
    2007 TiD Vector Sport 150
    Hi all,Newbie here.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, your advice really helped me with my upgrade. I have the 2007+ premium 150 system and wanted to improve the sound without adding an additional amp. I've replaced the left/right front dash speakers with JL Audio TR350 CXi's and removed the centre dash speaker. these speakers are a perfect fit and make a massive difference compared to the stock speakers. I've left the door speakers in and replaced the rear shelf speakers with 6x9's (Alpine SPG 69C3's). I know many poster's have reccomended amping 6x9's but these speakers are a perfect fit and have made a big difference to the overall in car sound. I'm very happy with the improved sound in my car which cost me approx. £90.00 for the speakers and nothing for the labour as I fitted everything myself thanks to you guys advice. Just giving my two pence worth to a top,top thread. Thanks again!!!

Saab(s)
    2011 Saab 9-3xwd
    Name:  2013-05-24 14.49.43.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  40.6 KB

After reading this thread I decided up upgrade my dash speakers as well. Since the Boston aren't available I went to crutchfield and ordered the MTX thuderdome series,$34.99 for the set. The front installed as advertised, couldn't be any less room between the dome and the grill, but don't notice any impedance or rattling. Their specs said the same would fit the back, foolishly, I assumed, they must be sending a bracket to make it fit the 4" in the rear. Now I have to call them and get a replacement sent, but it's going to be too late for the summer vacation.

Otherwise, up next is the door. Went MTX thuderdome again, TDX-52, $59.99. These did come with the mounts, but I think that project will have to wait till tomorrow, need to go back and read up on how to get the door panels off safely.

thanks everyone for the great discussion