Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD
    Guys:
    This is my first post here. My name is Yarvis and am brand new in the world of Saab owners. I just bought a leftover 2010 9-3 XWD for what I thought was a fantastic price. I am or at least USED to be very involved in car stereo. In fact, not to brag (but I will, just a little) I am a retired IASCA World Auto sound champion from 1998. I am ALWAYS intrigued with audio upgrades because I feel if you have a great sounding car stereo, it can make LONG boring drives almost acceptable.
    So to Wulf and the others, how are your upgrades holding up? When I was competing, speakers were ALWAYS something that HAD to be the best. While Boston is a good brand, (or least they used to be) how are these speakers holding up? What about the Kicker subs? Has anyone actually placed them into their cars yet? With the crappy stock system I can hear faint buzzing and rattles in the doors, if you upgrade to the Kickers, I would think deadening would be very much in order. I had placed light expanding foam , clay and Dynamat and another brand called V-Block in my car all those years ago. Has anyone here done something similar?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ----John Lennon

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    Welcome to SW

Last edited by jlrSAAB; 06 February 2011 at 21:35.

Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD
    Jose, muchas gracias for your welcome!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ----John Lennon

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    do you speak Spanish?.
    I can't help you much about the sound system but Nickolay is a professional in this field.
    you will enjoy in the club.

Thread: 9-3 SS 2008 audio upgrade

Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD
    Jose:
    If you call "Nuyorican" Spanish Spanish, then yes, I do. lol. Seriously, My Spanish leaves alot to be desired. My parents were born and raised for a time in Puerto Rico, but moved here when they were kids. My Spanish has gotten better over the years, but here in NYC it's more slang than actual Spanish. I saw Nickoly's post. But am more interested in the findings and observations of the folks who have actually done the speaker upgrades and how they are holding up?

Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 Linear Auto
    Thanks Wulf. Using your instructions, I replaced the L&R dash speakers, but instead used Infinity Reference 3032cf based on Crutchfield's "Outfit My Car" recommendation tool. Everything worked as you explained. However, these speakers have a raised tweeter dome (similar to the BA S35's you installed). When I put the speaker grills back in place, the fit is so tight that the dome presses directly against the center of the grill. Did you have any issues like this? Are you aware of any replacement speaker grills that would allow a bit more space? Thanks.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    When I put the speaker grills back in place, the fit is so tight that the dome presses directly against the center of the grill. Did you have any issues like this? Are you aware of any replacement speaker grills that would allow a bit more space? Thanks.
    From what I can remember, the BA speakers just fit but there wasn't much space left. I haven't seen or heard about any speaker grilles that provide more space. There also wasn't a lot of space below the speakers so trying to drop them a little probably isn't going to work either.

Saab(s)
    9/5 Aero M04 Silver Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarvis View Post
    Guys:
    This is my first post here. My name is Yarvis and am brand new in the world of Saab owners. I just bought a leftover 2010 9-3 XWD for what I thought was a fantastic price. I am or at least USED to be very involved in car stereo. In fact, not to brag (but I will, just a little) I am a retired IASCA World Auto sound champion from 1998. I am ALWAYS intrigued with audio upgrades because I feel if you have a great sounding car stereo, it can make LONG boring drives almost acceptable.
    So to Wulf and the others, how are your upgrades holding up? When I was competing, speakers were ALWAYS something that HAD to be the best. While Boston is a good brand, (or least they used to be) how are these speakers holding up? What about the Kicker subs? Has anyone actually placed them into their cars yet? With the crappy stock system I can hear faint buzzing and rattles in the doors, if you upgrade to the Kickers, I would think deadening would be very much in order. I had placed light expanding foam , clay and Dynamat and another brand called V-Block in my car all those years ago. Has anyone here done something similar?
    hI Yarvis

I work with radios Saab a few years and all this time trying to improve them. The best way is just to throw out all the standard equipment in the trash and put a new one. For all the experiments outlined for himself a well-articulated set of components. From the acoustics are not expensive Polk Audio DB6501 excellent bass and power (possibly sharp treble, but overall a very successful speakers)
    If interested sign for more detail on the subwoofer amplifier and other components in relation to SAAB

Kicker subs is not for music- they only for bass

Full sound deadening makes the factory audio system to play much better. Retrieved on 10 cars. However, new components, combined with sound deadening even better

Most of my work with the Saab can be found on this site and on the nearby forum (I'm afraid of mentioning the name of this forum, I'll be banned Wulf

Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickolay View Post
    hI Yarvis

I work with radios Saab a few years and all this time trying to improve them. The best way is just to throw out all the standard equipment in the trash and put a new one. For all the experiments outlined for himself a well-articulated set of components. From the acoustics are not expensive Polk Audio DB6501 excellent bass and power (possibly sharp treble, but overall a very successful speakers)
    If interested sign for more detail on the subwoofer amplifier and other components in relation to SAAB

Kicker subs is not for music- they only for bass

Full sound deadening makes the factory audio system to play much better. Retrieved on 10 cars. However, new components, combined with sound deadening even better

Most of my work with the Saab can be found on this site and on the nearby forum (I'm afraid of mentioning the name of this forum, I'll be banned Wulf

Nick:
    Some would say MY English isn't all that great either. (I have one of the WORST NYC accents going! A mix of The Bronx AND Brooklyn, sheesh, what a combo!)
    So I can understand what you are saying and I agree. I have never found ANY stock car audio system that sounded as good as a well executed aftermarket system. MB Quarts were my favorite speakers but I heard speakers from Dynaudio, Morel and B&W (Yes, Bowers and Wilkins) in cars, that would make MOST home systems sound like crap. From what I am reading though with Saabs, they are very difficult to place aftermarket because of the fiber optics in them. For now, I am more than happy with replacing the speakers and seeing how things sound.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarvis View Post
    From what I am reading though with Saabs, they are very difficult to place aftermarket because of the fiber optics in them.
    That's true for <=MY06 but they changed to a regular setup for 2007 when they introduced the GM audio head unit.