Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Cafasco View Post
    No you do not need any bass blockers. The lower fq.s are filtered out at the amp for '07+ cars. Plug n play! You should really like those speakers. They are quite a bit better than I thought they would be.

You can pop another set in the rear deck to round out the sound. There apparently is more power going to the rear deck in for 07+ cars, so it does make a diff. They also take 3.5" speakers back there rather than 4". Its even easier than the front.

You can also install 6x9s in the back shelf, but you would have to amp them to get any worth while sound out of them. Thats quite a bit more involved.

Knowing what I now know, I'd most likely go with BA35s in the front and rear, then replace the stock door mid-bass speakers with the Image Dynamics CX62. They are a 6.5" 2ohm mid bass woofer. They are supposed to be awesome. I understand the stock door speakers are the least accurate of the 7. Here is the best price I've found for a pair: WoofersEtc.com - CX62 V.2 - Image Dynamics 6.5" 2 ohm Mid-bass Drivers

Caf:
    Are the ID's any shallower than the Kickers? Has ANYONE replaced the center channel speaker yet? ID back in the day was the KING of compression horns.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ----John Lennon

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 2003

Ohms question

Quote Originally Posted by Cafasco View Post
    ...Knowing what I now know, I'd most likely go with BA35s in the front and rear, then replace the stock door mid-bass speakers with the Image Dynamics CX62. They are a 6.5" 2ohm mid bass woofer...
    Aren't the stock speakers all 2ohm? What is the impact/risk of installing the BA35s which are 4ohm?

Thanks

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 SS 2.0T
    Quote Originally Posted by kr38 View Post
    Thanks for your advice, Cafasco.

When you refer to the 'rear deck' do you mean the rear parcel shelf speakers? My car has the 7 speaker set-up with the amp in the boot.
    Oh sure!

Yes...rear deck = rear parcel. Yes, 7 speaker set-up with the amp in the boot

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 SS 2.0T
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarvis View Post
    Caf:
    Are the ID's any shallower than the Kickers? Has ANYONE replaced the center channel speaker yet? ID back in the day was the KING of compression horns.
    They are not shallower than the Kickers. I've read some excellent reviews on the ID CX2s. I think both types a little tight but workable from the treads Ive read.

I read a thead where one individual replaced the center speaker. He stated that it is an important part of the system and should not be left out. His reasoning made sense. I am going to replace mine at some point. I believe it might be a 3.5" speaker for 07+ cars since the rear parcel speakers went from 4" to 3.5". It would make sense to have all 5 high freq. speakers at 3.5" from the mfg point of view (reduced cost). I have yet to pry off the center grill 100% to confirm that. Mine is either really stubborn or they added a couple screws from underneath (which I doubt).

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 SS 2.0T
    Quote Originally Posted by dat View Post
    Aren't the stock speakers all 2ohm? What is the impact/risk of installing the BA35s which are 4ohm?

Thanks
    I know this may sound weird and well...is, but only the 6.5" mid-bass (not really sub-woofers so to speak) door speakers are 2 ohm. The remaining 5 speakers are 4 ohm.

Your 03 takes 3.5" in the front L and R dash, but 4" in the center and rear L and R. BA35s work great in the dash. BA40s for the rear and center if you like.

Running 4ohm 6.5" mid bass speakers in the doors would result in much lower sound output from what I understand and screw up the sound stage. The only 2 ohm 6.5" speakers on the mkt at present are: 1) Infinity (both Reference and Kappa lines), 2) Kicker 10CVT652 (65 = 6.5" and 2 = ohm), and 3) Image Dynamics CX62.

With the Infinity, you'd have to buy the one of their component sets that comes with (2) 6.5" woofers, (2) 1" tweeters, and (2) cross over networks. You would not use the tweeters and crossovers (sell them on eBay or Craigslist). It's the least expensive way to replace the door speakers.

In terms of the Infinity option, I would go with Kappa's as they have better bass resposnse. The best choice might be the Image Dynamics CX62 mid woofers, but they are a little more money. I'm a little concerned about the stock amp driving the Kicker's as they are a shallow mount "sub" woofer (need more power). Not to mention mounting them in the door is a little concerning.

Hope that helps...

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '07 9 3 2.0T Aero
    Thanks for all the good advice.

I've just ordered another pair of BA 35s for the rear shelf. Unfortunately I'm going away for work for a few days but as soon as I get back I'll be upgrading the 4 speakers. Should be a big improvement for a mere £60 all in.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '07 9 3 2.0T Aero
    Thanks for the tutorial, Wulf.

I installed my BA35s this evening (in the dark!) and it was very straightforward thanks to the pictures in this thread. I took a test drive and the sound quality is so much better than stock. Really worth doing.

Tomorrow I'll install the second pair of BA35s in the rear shelf. I'm sure this will be a much more subtle improvement but will make the upgrade complete.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 aero
    Hi
    Just wondered where you bought your speakers and the cost i was looking around 40 pound for the s 35 is this about right

Thanks

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Sounds about right. Just checked out Crutchfield, a popular car accessory online store/magazine here in the states, and it costs $70 for a pair of S35's, which is a tad over 40 pounds sterling.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 aero
    I was just looking at speakers and was thinking infinity ref for doors and back then came across 3.5 inch infinity would it be best to use infinity all round

thanks