Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 Sedan 2.0 M6

How to remove front deck grills?

Hi, I just got 2008 9-3 with 150W - so happy
    Because I noticed 6x9 opening and easy access on rear deck it was a quick job to replace rear ones.
    Now I am looking to replace front L/R. I carefully read this thread and only one type of instruction
    what I found was "pop grill with butter knife" but how? there are pins, should I just forcefully try to pop
    out grills or should I try to locate and press pins in someway?
    I know it's may be silly question but still any bit of advise will be really appreciated. I simply do not want
    to mess-up grills. Btw another question, can I get replacement grills from dealer (in worst case)?

Thank you!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    The grills pop out pretty easy without much effort. Just start out slowly, don't force it and you should be ok.

Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 Sedan 2.0 M6
    Frank, thank you very much for quick reply! I will give it a try this or next weekend.

Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 SS Aero (2.0T)
    i have a bose centerpoint 11-speaker system in my car 9-3 (2008). i have sinced replaced the stock HU with an aftermarket system and 2-way component speaker system.

i am considering putting in a mid-range into the dash speaker openings. think there's a chance for me to do so. btw, i already have a 4" tweeter on A-pillars and don't want another mids on it. thus the consideration.

any suggestions?

cheerios....
    JZW Stg 4 | 3" MPPerform DP | Hirsch Dual Catback | KWV2 CO| DEH-P1 | BBK F:8-pot 356 R: 6-pot 330| GS 3-pt Subframe | Saab Aero Bridge Spoiler | Hirsch CF Dashboard | Hirsch Leather Door Handle

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-3 Linear
    I recently found this thread and immediately put the BA S35's, BA S45's and the Kicker CVT 6.5's on my Christmas list. Based on the info here I am very excited to install the BA's and think they will make a huge difference, but I am still a little unsure about the Kickers as I have not been able to find any solid reviews or first hand accounts on how they worked.

I suppose I am just writing/requesting anyone who has put the Kickers in the doors to give any sort of insight and review on the install and how they sound.

Happy to be part of the saab world community.
    Last edited by dfb11; 15 November 2011 at 16:44.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    06' 93t
    Quote Originally Posted by Cafasco View Post
    Glad the Polk Dxi350s fit w/o difficulty! The tweeter height must be .25" shorter than the db351s. I did send an email to Polk to find out. It's hard to tell just by looking at pictures on crutchfield.com. I'm not digging the tweeters polking out though the grills, so switching to either BA S35s or maybe the Dxi350s.

To access the door speakers, you have to remove some screws first. I have not removed the door panels yet so I'm not sure where they are. Most car makers have a couple in the armrest and one in the door handle. They are usually covered up. After the screws are out the door panel should pop out. Pull from the bottom first, then work around the edges. Lift up and out but be careful as there wires and the rods for the door handle. It's not hard just a little tricky.

As far as the door speakers go, I'm currently planning to go with Kicker CVT-652 (6.5", 2ohm) sub woofers. They are supposed to be awesome and are the only 2 ohm 6.5" woofer on the mkt. The stock 150watt amp runs the door woofers at 2ohm and the center dash speaker. The best price I found is here: Kicker 10CVT652 6-1/2" Shallow-Mount Comp VT Subwoofer CVT652

You can put 6x9's in the rear. I recommend Soundstream SST6.9. They are supposed to be awesome. You can however get 6x9 to 6.5" conversion plates on ebay. 6.5's usually sound much better than 6x9s since they are round. I'm going with Polk db651 speakers in the rear deck. I don't know how the Soundstream 6x9s compare to the Polk 6.5's, but I do know the db651s sound a much better than the db691s...to my ear anyway. Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair, Silver): Electronics
    Hey, how did the 'Kicker CVT-652' work out in the door? Good bass? They fit without issue?
    I had 'Infinity Reference 6032si' installed in the door and I'm not happy. Totally messed up the bass/system.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-3 Linear
    If I am putting BA's in the rear shelf, do I have to remove the whole shelf or just pop off the grills like the front dash???

also, in response to DjTicojon75....
    I have ordered Infinity Kappa's to put into the doors. I will just use the woofer. I could not find any information about anyone installing the Kickers or anything else for that matter. I am assuming the tweeters, etc on the Infinity Reference 6032 si's make them more of a full range speaker rather than just bass.

I don't even have my speakers on hand yet, and I am not sure when I will put them in, but I will post whenever I do.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    06' 93t
    Quote Originally Posted by dfb11 View Post
    If I am putting BA's in the rear shelf, do I have to remove the whole shelf or just pop off the grills like the front dash???

also, in response to DjTicojon75....
    I have ordered Infinity Kappa's to put into the doors. I will just use the woofer. I could not find any information about anyone installing the Kickers or anything else for that matter. I am assuming the tweeters, etc on the Infinity Reference 6032 si's make them more of a full range speaker rather than just bass.

I don't even have my speakers on hand yet, and I am not sure when I will put them in, but I will post whenever I do.
    I'm looking forward to hearing how the Kappa's worked out. The stock door speakers provided a much smoother/cleaner bass. The Infinity's is more of a punching bass, which in a 6.5" 2-way is more of a distorted punch at mid-higher volumes. I did end up ordering the Kicker CVT-652's for the doors.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-3 Linear
    I will definitely let you know and I would love to hear how the Kickers work out because I had them in the shopping cart to buy and then I backed out.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    06' 93t
    Quote Originally Posted by dfb11 View Post
    I will definitely let you know and I would love to hear how the Kickers work out because I had them in the shopping cart to buy and then I backed out.
    The Kicker's are monsters. They don't even come close to fitting. I'd have to bend steel to make these fit...
    The search goes on.