Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i

Serpentine belt change - long vs short belt

So, here is the scoop.

The centre pulley was there and then it wasn't (Saab removed it sometime in 2004 and reinstalled it again in 2006).
    They found that removing that caused more engine vibration (as Wulf noted).
    I just replaced the belt in mine, added the centre pulley and replaced the idler with a Weeze (not sure of the speeling and too lazy to look for it right now)pulley.

Now, I have heard, not through Saab mind you, that the centre pulley was added back in because the vibrations were actually causing the power steering pumps to fail.
    Either way, there is no gain to doing the short belt mod other than not having to deal with the centre pulley.
    Having said that, I will not put a short belt back on my own 9-5 ... ever.

And, on top of that, any 9-5 we get into the shop that needs a belt, we sell the long belt and 2 replacement pulleys.
    It really is in the customer/owners best interest.
    Last edited by nordwulf; 29 October 2010 at 19:35. Reason: Moved this post from the NG900 pulley thread
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 Arc, 1999 9-5 V6 ( Sold )

Question on serpentine belt change

I have 96k on my 2005 9-5 now and I am getting ready to do the belt change. SO far I have done routine oil/filter changes, air filter, ATF change, cabin air filter change and rear break pads and rotors myself. Belt change is going to be a biggie and a first for me

I have bought long belt and pullies and do have a question before I start. Center pully wasn't on this car and has to be installed to use long belt. Do I need to buy a bolt for the pully as well or will the bolt already be there in right place?

I would hate to remove everything only to realize I need to leave the car on the blocks for want of some $10 part the I didn't know I needed

--Rajiv

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I would assume that you do not need any extra bolts, just the missing pulley. The mounting boss should still be there, and the hole should be threaded. I'm just getting this info from TSN (http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/bb/9-5/index.html?bID=199436). So you should be all set. Here is a tutorial if you'd like (he says the Haynes has some incorrect info... so if you are following one of those, be careful http://www.twinsaabs.com/9-5_repair/...o.asp?nsteps=3). Good luck, let us know how it goes... you might want to wait for verification from Wulf or SaabScott... 9-5's are their "thing".
    Last edited by Shazam; 03 September 2010 at 14:45.

Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    If you bought the parts from Aktive (and I believe you did), then everything you need, you have (other than the experience - but you are working on that ;-) ).

Threading that centre bolt is a pain and will really try your patience.
    Just remember ... it can be done!
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Thanks Scott. If you don't find my car outside on a flatbed when you folks open up on tuesday morning that means I am prolly OK

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Well... I didn't need to have my car towed to Aktive Motors... but that does not mean things went off without a hitch. no sir, we are talking me here

put new belt on after struggling to put center idler pully on. my hand is not exactly small but it's not a large hand either. I did however struggle for almost an hour to get that darn thing installed. cleaned throttle body after removing plastik air delivery pipe. after putting everything back, started that car and engine damn near had a coughing fit and shuddered it's way out of engine bay. after connecting other end of the air delivery pipe ( which I had forgotten to reconnect ) things returned back to normal. Car now drives much better. now next on agenda is to replace stock shocks and struts with either konis or bilstains. but that will have to wait until spring.

--Rajiv

Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 Wagon LPT
    +1 for Bilstein HD's. Purchase online from Essex Distributors in BC for best price.

Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 Turbo-X, 1994 900 CommEd
    Check the Tutorial Section. I just posted a Serp Belt DIY.
    Last edited by raquettelaker2; 19 October 2010 at 17:35. Reason: Fixed link.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by raquettelaker2 View Post
    Check the Tutorial Section. I just posted a Serp Belt DIY.
    Perfect, thanks very much. The first time I replaced mine I was following the Haynes manual and they never mentioned anything about removing the upper engine bracket. Kind of an important detail.. Good info on the pulleys as well. I have heard about some of the tricks but haven't seen it documented like this before.

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3t Wagon HO Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by SaabScott View Post
    So, here is the scoop.

The centre pulley was there and then it wasn't (Saab removed it sometime in 2004 and reinstalled it again in 2006).
    They found that removing that caused more engine vibration (as Wulf noted).
    I just replaced the belt in mine, added the centre pulley and replaced the idler with a Weeze (not sure of the speeling and too lazy to look for it right now)pulley.

Now, I have heard, not through Saab mind you, that the centre pulley was added back in because the vibrations were actually causing the power steering pumps to fail.
    Either way, there is no gain to doing the short belt mod other than not having to deal with the centre pulley.
    Having said that, I will not put a short belt back on my own 9-5 ... ever.

And, on top of that, any 9-5 we get into the shop that needs a belt, we sell the long belt and 2 replacement pulleys.
    It really is in the customer/owners best interest.
    I couldn't agree with you more. I just replaced both of my idler pulley's and the tensioner with it's pulley. The center pulley was a nightmare for me to replace, but the effort was well worth it.
    I can testify that most of my high speed vibrations issues are gone. For me, the most noticeable vibrations happened at 55mph + when accelerating. I would have liked to have used Wazee pulley's,
    but their instructions as to how many and what kind of spacers you're going to need to use are non-existent on their web site.
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    Sport Wagon 2.3T HO Manual
    140,627 Miles