Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    Actually, I did try later-style injectors. I found some EV6 four-hole with the same flow rate as my N/A on a mid-'90s Volvo 850 and swapped them in. They worked EXACTLY the same as my originals. No change could be felt in idle, accel, decel, cruise, anything. And they haven't killed the ECU.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    none
    That is perfect! I assumed since the resistance of the injector is the same, and they are still Bosch ( which means latency/dead time values should be close, unlike Siemens) that they should work, but couldn't get anyone on TB to confirm that, so thank you!

I bought 16lb'ers so that they fall somewhat between the X1/9's 14.7(@2.5bar), and the LH2.2 21's(@3bar). My motor I'm putting together at the moment is a stroked 1500 (so 1600) with a euro big valve head - I figure I can get the operating window at least close to stock LH2.2, so I won't have to completely lean out the AMM to get there, I'm hoping :-)
    Last edited by lookforjoe; 04 December 2013 at 01:40.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    none
    Ordered some new Intel 2732A chips and a PCB05 Willem Programmer. I'll open the 514 bin listed here, once I get the editing program & take a look see.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    none
    The injectors arrived ...155 742's - checking on a list I found of injector flow and resistance, these are 14.5ohm, and the Volvo ones are all 16ohm (...150 209). I'm wondering now if I can even run them, or if adding a1.5ohm resistor in series would do the trick. I presume this would be a problem, since lower resistance = higher voltage at the injector coil, no?
    Last edited by lookforjoe; 05 December 2013 at 01:09.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    none
    Wondering why Saab spec'd the metal case style MAF (005) in 86 instead of the plastic body used by Volvo (007) 85-up. I was planning on using the Volvo MAF, now I'm unsure that won't be an issue with the Saab 514 BIN.

Also, was the SAAB FPR the 2.5 or 3 bar version? I'm planning on using a 3bar, since the injectors I bought are only 16.7lb, at 3bar.

Someone on TB suggested that the impedance variance should not be an issue, since either way they are high impedance, and a matched set.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    That is my inclination too, re the impedance, now that someone mentions it.

Saab turbos used 2.5 bar regulator, whereas the non-turbo used the 3 bar.

As for the metal vs plastic air mass meter, I know that all LH 2.2 900 cars had the 005 meter, all the way up to 1988, the last year they used LH 2.2. The plastic body 017 was plastic, but adjustable, and was used on non-catalyst 900 cars with LH 2.2. The 009 was used on non-turbo 9000 cars with LH 2.2. As far as I know, switching the air mass meter to one that's not right will result in the car running funny but not throwing the check-engine light.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    none
    Thanks for the reply - since I'm planning on using the 514 ECU & BIN as my starting point, I went ahead & got a 005 MAF off eBay. I don't know if flashing with the Volvo BIN would make any difference to the hardware requirements. At least this way, I'm covered for either eventuality.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    none
    Hmm... LH22Editor won't install in Windows 7

I think my much older Toshiba has XP, I'll have to try that. Not a PC person, so I have no clue what's up - error messages when trying to write files to a system directory.

EDIT: installed OK on WinXP on the older laptop.

Assuming this is 514, since the values are higher than the 544 (due to smaller displacement?)

So, trying to understand what Eddy was saying above, applied to reducing fueling. If I'm going from 21 to 17lb, I should add the difference, to scale the fuel flow by raising the values as opposed to lowering them, it would seem. Unclear as to why he was multiplying the differential before adding/subtracting, though.

Just waiting for the chips so I can try the programmer.
    Last edited by lookforjoe; 09 December 2013 at 23:47.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    none
    More issues. Willem Programmer software doesn't like Win7 either. Contacted the vendor, and he said that you probably can't burn chips from a laptop, even if you get the software loaded. This is turning into a major PITA. I also made assumptions about the USB connection - I thought that was for data transfer as well as power, but it seems the 25pin cable (with 15 pin for PC end?) is required, the USB is just for power, and the AC port is for additional power needs.

He says there is a more expensive USB programmer that will run in Win7 that I can upgrade to, but he still doubts the laptop printer port will be properly supported for burning chips.

Not sure where to go with this, I don't want to buy a frickin' PC turd just so I can use the programmer

EDIT: after going back & forth with the tech support, I'm going to get the True USB programmer instead. It works in Win7, and has DC up converters built in so no external power supply is needed for older chips, and no printer cable needed for data read/write.
    Last edited by lookforjoe; 11 December 2013 at 11:56.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    none
    Got my USB programmer & software that runs in Win7

Read the BIN from my 514 chip to test it

Got my new Intel chips

Board socket

need to figure out the appropriate percentages to lean out the map.

Working on the runners to replace these - that use old pintle injectors with hose attachments to the rail

new runner /injector bung in progress for composite injectors