Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    none
    Regarding Map adjustments, I re-read the thread on ECUProject - lowering the table values increases fuel. So, I will increase the values 16%, and burn a chip. See how that goes. Getting closer to having it running.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    none
    Engine fired right up, but ran very rich, with the AFR's dropping into the 10's very shortly after starting(!) Hoping I didn't wash the bores of my brand new engine & cause premature wear...

I replaced the Saab ECU & MAF with the Volvo 544 ECU & 007 MAF, and it started & ran much better. Was able to get an idle AFR in the 14.7-15.2 range by leaning out the MAF adjustment. Now that I know the wiring & other components are functional, I'll try a chip burned with the 544 bin in the Saab 514 ECU to see if the ECU is the problem, or the Saab 005 MAF I purchased. I may not need a leaner map in fact, as I seem to be able to adjust the MAF to get the AFR in an acceptable range. I haven't taken the car out on the road yet, so I don't know if it's good across the range.

pics with Saab MAF/ECU in place

With the cam I have installed & the new 'big valve' head, I have lower idle vacuum than previously - only about 13inHg @ 750rpm. This is affecting the fuel pressure, since low vacuum means higher fuel pressure & therefore richer mixture. I need modify the idle setup (I don't have an butterfly bypass adjustment) to get a stable 900rpm idle, that will give me about 15inHG vacuum, based on the testing I've done so far.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    none
    Can't run the 514 ECU & 005 MAF; no matter which map I use, it doesn't run right.

I switched to a Volvo 554 (Volvo update for 511/544 ECUs with cold start/warmup issues) ECU & 007 MAF. With these, I was able to adjust the MAF to get a decent AFR.

Next I am going to make a EZK117 conversion

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    none
    Turns out the Saab MAF I bought had a broken hotwire. I bought it so long ago I can't get a replacement via the eBay seller, even though I did alert him at the time of purchase that there was a crack in the lip of the casing where it had clearly beed dropped - should have just returned it at the time..

Anyway, I still need to get the SAAB shippable ECU working, as the stock fuel map does not have sufficient enrichment for the 10.7:1 compression motor I built. I tried raising the regulated fuel pressure to 50psi, really doesn't help, even though I switched to the 20lb injectors also (used in the Volvo 850 NA). Still have AFR's in the 14 range under part load. I backed the ignition timing off to about 4ºBTDC to get rid of the knock I was hearing(!)

I have the Volvo EZK117 installed & running, that also needs some modding.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    none
    Added larger Volvo throttle body

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    none
    Going to pick up another 005 MAF, so I can try again to modify the fueling map & rpm limit.

About 1000 miles on the motor since the rebuild and the addition of LH2.2
    Last edited by lookforjoe; 06 December 2014 at 13:42.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    none
    OK - so I've tried a used and a rebuilt 005 MAF, and I cannot get the engine to run using the 514 ECU (with the MAF plugged in). I get a steady 8-9v output on the idle offset (CO adjust) terminal at the MAF - where I should be seeing under 2v. This results in a super -rich condition.

The MAF remanufacturer suggested that the system may be stuck in burnoff mode, which would explain why my original MAF had a broken hotwire, I would imagine. I've ordered a spare 514 ECU to try.

The car runs just fine on the Volvo 554 ECU / 007 MAF, but I cannot flash or alter that chip.

Saab(s)
    alfaromeo spider
    from what I have read here. the Volvo lh 2.2 and saab lh2.2 is the same plug and wire to the ecu.. on post no.44 the wireing diagrahm is from what year? saab? thanks

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by alfaromeo View Post
    from what I have read here. the Volvo lh 2.2 and saab lh2.2 is the same plug and wire to the ecu.. on post no.44 the wireing diagrahm is from what year? saab? thanks
    Don't know what year precisely. I'm assuming 86-87 as it matches the Volvo setup of the same time frame.

The wiring is the same, I have switched between the two. Only difference I can see is Volvo doesn't use pin 4 & grounds pin 19 & 15.

Saab(s)
    alfaromeo spider
    No.4 on the Volvo(some cars) is for a.link between the starter sol. and the ecu,on some harnesses it is left blank,19 is grounded 15 can be 4plug thingy