Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)

Changing a battery

Today, I changed my battery. I got a group 48 (size) Everstart battery at Walmart for $77. It has 6 screw caps that look like they can be removed with a coin. Reportedly, Walmart is changing suppliers soon. The battery has a 3 year warranty. This battery had a sticker saying it was shipped in September, 2010 (a few days ago?) and manufactured July, 2010.

It almost fits perfectly. The height of the positive terminal is about 2 mm too low, but there is plenty of contact. The negative is not too low. The square cap over the positive terminal doesn't quite snap down but is close enough so that the battery cover fits. The battery hold down lip looks identical in dimensions to the OEM Exide Spain battery.

If you want to install the battery at the store, bring the correct tools. Specifically, bring

1. gloves (optional)
    2. 12 mm socket wrench with about a 7-9" extension. There is a hold down at the front (front=towards the direction of the headlights).
    3. 10 mm wrench to loosen the terminal
    4. screwdriver or coin to remove the battery cover

I forgot to bring a socket wrench handle.

After changing the battery, the time needs to be reset but not the radio stations. The mpg and average speed is also reset to zero.

My current battery was tested at the factory around March 30, 2005, the car was assembed the first part of April, and I took delivery in early May, 2005. So, the battery did not sit around long with lack of use. I changed the battery today, September 5, 2010, to avoid any possible damage from electrical surges should I need a jump start later. To have a battery last 5 years, 5 months is satisfactory. I hope the current battery lasts 5 years.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    This is supposed to be a simple procedure. Just unscrew and drop the battery in. However, I've found out that there is "ok" and "better". The battery now fits better.

When placing the battery, there is play or leeway to situate the battery a little more left or right. Don't put it in the extreme left or right to minimize vibration from the battery box. You can adjust the battery left or right by which position the positive cable fits best. This is the key to having to not trim the battery box. (With a Walmart Everstart battery, however, the positive cable still is 1.5 mm too low (battery cable too high) but this is less than with a sloppy drop-in installation) Then after the positive cable is situated, then fasten down the battery hold-down, and then put the negative cable. The negative cable has the most slack so it should be fastened third.

Also pay attention not to twist the positive cables too much as there is brittle sealant between the metal terminal and the cable.

For the first time in 5 years, the battery cover fits perfectly. Before, one front plastic screw didn't tighten. Make sure that the battery cover engages and doesn't tangle with the red, positive battery cable, which is supposed to be in a track on the right side (right=when facing the car, not when sitting in the driver's seat).
    Last edited by Dave T; 06 September 2010 at 21:10.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    03' 9-3 SS Linear--gone, 06' 9-3 SC Aero--gone, 09' 9-3 SS Aero Auto--yeah
    That's pretty good Dave, you got your own thread going--and only you replying! Pretty funny.

I had a new battery put in my 06' about 6 months ago. The Saab tech did cut the box and I believe used a wire cutter. And glad you got over 5 years out of your battery. I just bought a new 09' Aero SS and the car was built 2 years ago so the battery sat that long so should be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    I have replaced the battery after three years and half and 41319kms, it fits OK in the housing.. the same size, well see some pictures for the best explanation.

the original battery from factory

the new battery from saab dealer and free maintenance

Saab(s)
    2003 9-3

Wink help... girl question

ok i have a 2003 saab 9-3. the battery is dead, i had AAA come out to replace it, however because of a small box next to the battery they could not do it. (they didn't want to mess with the box because it was too close to the battery connections and did not want to damage it). so i still have a dead car. my question is -- what is this box and should i get the car towed to the dealer to replace the battery? (i bought a new one from AAA so i'd just bring the battery to the dealer). the closest dealer to me is well, not so close. what is this mysterious box? i just don't want to keep getting the car towed to various mechanics for them to tell me that they can't do it either.

thanks for your help...

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by tricia's saab View Post
    what is this box and should i get the car towed to the dealer to replace the battery? (i bought a new one from AAA so i'd just bring the battery to the dealer). the closest dealer to me is well, not so close. what is this mysterious box? i just don't want to keep getting the car towed to various mechanics for them to tell me that they can't do it either.
    It sounds like you're referring to the fuse panel to the right of the battery. If you have the correct size battery, it should fit without having to touch the fuse panel. Perhaps your replacement battery is too big?

Name:  9-3battery1.jpg
Views: 18086
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  9-3battery2.jpg
Views: 17292
Size:  73.1 KB

Name:  Engine.jpg
Views: 17106
Size:  40.6 KB

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    tricia's saab, welcome to SAABworld

check the battery size, battery box is too small in Saab's car.:
    GM P/N 127 99 752, Maintenance free, 12V 70Ah 700A (EN) measures: 280mmx175mmx190mm. Auto on Saab 93 SC 2.0T
    Name:  bater.jpg
Views: 18522
Size:  71.9 KB
    Name:  bateria.jpg
Views: 17151
Size:  57.2 KB
    you will need a 200mm long socket 12mm hexagonal to get bottom nut and 10 mm socket for battery terminals.

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    the original battery from factory

the new battery from saab dealer and free maintenance

updated with new SAAB battery picture