Size:  38.8 KB

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    The only SAAB powered by a Honda engine, the SAAB Turbo 006! (sharp minded members will notice that 006 is 900 spelled cleverly upside down!)

Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Renato Piereck
    Saab(s)
    The "SAAB" Facett

During the time of the original Saab Sonnet 1, there were 6 cars produced by SAAB. Apparently one of those cars was taken by a SAAB designer/employee named Sigvard Sorenson—–to be transformed in his backyard into something quite peculiar! The SAAB Facett was born! This was neither an official prototype OR product from SAAB. This was just a product of one man’s passion for doing something unique. He built it right on top of one of the original 6 Sonett 1 roadsters.

According to SAAB History:

“According to the Continental magazines, the Facett was another prototype being used by Saab to test the public reaction and taste. The truth is that they were way off the mark. From the beginningto end, the Facett was a backyard project and the only connection the builder, Sigvard Sorensen, had with Saab was that he was employed in the design department in Trollhättan.

The story begins when one of the first six Sonetts was offered for sale to the employees at Saab in the early sixties. The company had neither the available space or desire to store all the cars in a shed so they simply sold off the cars they felt were superfluous.

Sigvard Sorensen took up the offer and bought himself a bright green Saab Sonett Super Sport. The car was rather impractical, to say the least, and Sorensen started thinking about what he could do to make it more useful.

He began by removing the plastic body and went to work on the chassis. The fuel tank was moved from its odd position in the front wing to between the rear wheels where it was well protected against all types of accidents + standard procedure on all Saabs with the exception of the six Sonett Is.

The original engine was rejected in favor of a standard sport engine which was more suited to everyday driving than a temperamental, highly tuned racing engine. At this stage Sorensen realized that he would have to build a completely new body sheel and preferably with a hardtop. To get the car driveable quicker, he decided to use sheet metal instead of fiberglass.”

NOW! the story gets even more interesting. That original Saab Facett (pictured only at the TOP of this post) had been converted back into a green Saab Sonett sometime after by a different owner. All of the steel bodywork Sigvard had done to the car was removed and the car was restored back to being a roadster. HOWEVER, this owner (Rene Hirsch) commissioned a German company to replicate the chassis and the original Facett using the same body panels which were removed to re-create the roadster. So in effect, now BOTH can be seen together again…..the Green Sonett is the original car as SAAB produced it out of the factory—-the white Facett is a recreation of the custom Facett that Sigvard had made after buying the green roadster. 6 Saab Sonett roadsters exist; and now there’s a Facett to join them rather than take one’s place.

[RP: Quite an interesting story for such a unique car. I can see why the second owner went from Facett to Sonett as the one of six Sonett I is extremely rare and most likely much more valuable as a Sonett than as a Facett!]

Renato Piereck
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    From the Saab Car Museum FB page:

Saab number 250 000 produced in January 1965

Is that Erik Carlsson at the wheel? Could be. That guy at the wheel looks conspicuously like a young Carlsson, albeit that is a typical Scandinavian face! I just can't see him pushing cars off the factory floor on the height of his rallying career, but I could be wrong.

The guy on the extreme right looks like a current British actor whose name I won't remember. I am horrible with names, but will remember faces forever.
    Last edited by rpiereck; 08 December 2012 at 23:41.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I don't understand a word of it but Russian is just such a cool language to listen to.

Renato Piereck
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    I don't understand a word of it but Russian is just such a cool language to listen to.
    I like Russian too, especially coming from women, real turn on for me Russian guys sound to me like they're permanently drunk! I have two Russian friends who will pretty much drink you under the table any day of the week.

How about a super clean Saab 96 two-stroke rally car for sale?

Renato Piereck
    Saab(s)
    A look at the Saab 9-3 campaigned under the X-Games 2012 Rallycross Championship:

Racing in the streets of LA

Not too many Saab engines site longitudinally in their bays... notice the old school C900 head cover.

Radiator mounted on the trunk. Moves it out of the way in case of a crash (car can keep racing even if there is a frontal crash), and makes room for a huge intercooler in the front.

On the move

Hanging out with other Rallycross cars

Lined up for a start at Texas Motor Speedway.

Off they go!

9-3 on second place, working hard to keep the comptetition behind

Car got squirely after a jump and driver Andy Scott puts it on the barriers. Not good.

In the end Finn driver Marcus Gronholm gets first place in a Ford Fiesta, and Taner Foust second on another Fiesta. Third place was Brian Deegan on, you guessed it, a Fiesta. The tiny Fords are hard to beat.