Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1974 99 , 2003 9-5 Arc, 2006 9-5 Sport (daughter's)
    Name:  IMG_20140616_133751.jpg
Views: 1353
Size:  34.0 KB
    I bought this: Pilot Shark Fin Antenna | Product Details | Pep Boys at the suggestion of my shaap's manager.

I removed the old antenna cover by slicing through it horizontally, about midway up, with a hacksaw.
    This allowed be to remove the rest of the cover with a wire cutters down to the (metal) base, which I left intact.
    (I only removed the rubber and plastic cover)

The Pep Boys "Antenna" is merely a plastic "shell" but matches the size and shape of the 9-5 shark fin exactly.
    It comes black with a carbon fiber appearance, but the surface is smooth.

It also has some peel-off double-stick adhesive on the base, which I simply removed and discarded.
    (I trust silicone sealant better to hold it down and seal things)

I painted mine to match the exterior color of my '03 ARC.
    I then used clear RTV (silicone) sealant to attach the cover to the antenna base, and made sure the perimeter of the metal antenna base was well sealed.

Been through the automatic car wash without a problem. Looks great.

A purist may want the flat black look of the original. For that I would suggest plasti-dip spray.
    Last edited by Laarry; 17 June 2014 at 05:45. Reason: added photo

Saab(s)
    9-3 I Cabrio, 2.0T Stage 1
    Hi Saab friends,

I found this thread and want to ask You something. Two weeks ago I bought 2002 Hot Aero and the shark antenna is replaced to a non OEM. Is this possible that RDS in my radio is not working beacuse of this?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1974 99 , 2003 9-5 Arc, 2006 9-5 Sport (daughter's)
    Quote Originally Posted by kielbasa View Post
    Hi Saab friends,

I found this thread and want to ask You something. Two weeks ago I bought 2002 Hot Aero and the shark antenna is replaced to a non OEM. Is this possible that RDS in my radio is not working beacuse of this?

RDS transmits digital data in the FM band. So if you're receiving FM broadcasts OK, then that must not be the cause.

My '03 ARC had the AM/FM antenna in the windshield. The Roof antenna (sharkfin) only housed the OnStar antenna - which would no longer work anyway - so I put in a dummy.

My '06 had a GPS antenna up there, so I needed to be a bit more careful replacing the HOUSING, while keeping the actual antenna intact.

Not sure about the '02 Aero, though.