Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    9-5
    Very interesting Pbuck1! There is a problem reading the analysis. The picture is very small. I write it on my computer. By increase, everything is blurry and illegible.
    Can you put a photo with a large size somewhere, where I can download?
    Thanks!
    BOBI
    P.S.
    A boy from the Volvo Club of Bulgaria, boasted that
    TransGo AW55-50SN, AW55-55SN: SK AW55-50
    has made its trans as new after being kicked long before.
    For information.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 ARC 2.3T wagon
    Here is the full size report - hope its readable but the image gets compressed / resized during the upload process. I have downloaded a copy and it does look pretty bad. If you want a better image I'll send you the file if you send me PM contianing yr email
    Name:  Trans analysis 07mar15.jpg
Views: 6334
Size:  49.4 KB

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    Draining ATF with on the '06 and newer cars.

These cars do not use a dipstick or have a dip stick tube. Instead, the dip stick hole low on the case is filled with a threaded aluminum plug equipped with a T55 recess.

NOT DRAIN YOUR ATF UNTIL YOU HAVE THIS PLUG OPENED!

This plug is a challenge to remove, and draining your ATF before you have this plug removed might result in a dry transmission on a car that must now be towed to a Saab Tech for assistance.

You will need the following tools to remove this plug: a T55 bit for a 3/8 socket wrench, a 3/8 stubby wobble bit, a 24-inch long 3/8 socket extension (stacking shorter lengths together will result in too much movement and slop, you will never get the plug removed) and a socket wrench.

The T55 recess in the soft aluminum plug is shallow which will cause the bit to jump out. To counter this you MUST lean hard on the tool assembly to keep the bit in the plug recess. Unfortunately, leaning hard into the tool assembly reduces the arm strength you can develop to turn the stubbornly stuck plug. To get the additional strength I added a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter to the top of my tool assembly and used a extra long 1/2-inch socket wrench.

It worked! You may want to order a new transmission plug when you are ordering the other parts and pieces needed for a 60K Major Interval Service. The T55 teeth in these plugs are so soft the plug can almost be considered a single use part.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Thanks Roger, I updated the first post in this thread with a warning and link to your instructions. How did you fill and measure for the correct fluid level after you refilled with ATF? The WIS instructions shows a gauge rod but I imagine those may be difficult to find.

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    I bought a 4-quart plastic pitcher with graduated markings years ago at a Dollar Store just for transmission refills. I drained out more than 3-3/4 quarts of fluid. Since a small amount of fresh fluid will remain in the one quart bottles, and some fluid probably exited as a vapor from the vent line, I added four quarts of fresh Toyota Type T-IV ATF.

You can measure the level of the fluid below the top surface of the case. This is how the Saab gage tool works. I didn't take this step.

Saab(s)
    none
    I have a question for Roger.
    Can you explain a little more on the transmission being dry if the bolt is not removed. Are you talking about the dipstick hole or the fill hole? Confused why the transmission would be dry if that bolt is left in while draining the fluid through the drain bolt.

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    My comment is meant to ensure that the fill plug is opened before the old fluid is drained out. Otherwise there is a risk that the fill plug cannot be opened and all the old fluid has been drained out, leaving the transmission dry of fluid with no means to add fresh ATF.

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
    I bought a 4-quart plastic pitcher with graduated markings years ago at a Dollar Store just for transmission refills. I drained out more than 3-3/4 quarts of fluid. Since a small amount of fresh fluid will remain in the one quart bottles, and some fluid probably exited as a vapor from the vent line, I added four quarts of fresh Toyota Type T-IV ATF.

You can measure the level of the fluid below the top surface of the case. This is how the Saab gage tool works. I didn't take this step.

The WIS instructions say the fluid level is to be between 49mm and 61mm below the upper surface of the case at the fill hole. This corresponds to between 2 and 2-1/2 inches for us metric challenged Americans. The image is of a Folding Carpenter's Rule with extension tang which will work for this purpose.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5
    Quote Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
    Draining ATF with on the '06 and newer cars.

These cars do not use a dipstick or have a dip stick tube. Instead, the dip stick hole low on the case is filled with a threaded aluminum plug equipped with a T55 recess.

NOT DRAIN YOUR ATF UNTIL YOU HAVE THIS PLUG OPENED!

This plug is a challenge to remove, and draining your ATF before you have this plug removed might result in a dry transmission on a car that must now be towed to a Saab Tech for assistance.

You will need the following tools to remove this plug: a T55 bit for a 3/8 socket wrench, a 3/8 stubby wobble bit, a 24-inch long 3/8 socket extension (stacking shorter lengths together will result in too much movement and slop, you will never get the plug removed) and a socket wrench.

The T55 recess in the soft aluminum plug is shallow which will cause the bit to jump out. To counter this you MUST lean hard on the tool assembly to keep the bit in the plug recess. Unfortunately, leaning hard into the tool assembly reduces the arm strength you can develop to turn the stubbornly stuck plug. To get the additional strength I added a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter to the top of my tool assembly and used a extra long 1/2-inch socket wrench.

It worked! You may want to order a new transmission plug when you are ordering the other parts and pieces needed for a 60K Major Interval Service. The T55 teeth in these plugs are so soft the plug can almost be considered a single use part.
    Hi everyone, I'm new here and I apologize for possibly stirring up an old thread. I understand that some of you have said that the 06 9-5 has no transmission fluid dipstick and the fluid change requires a different method than the older 9-5s with dipsticks. However, while looking under my hood, my 06 9-5 does indeed have a transmission fluid dipstick! So I'm honestly very confused on how to go about changing my fluid. Hopefully someone can help give me a little direction on which method I should use to flush the fluid. Thanks

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 ARC 2.3T wagon
    If you do indeed have a trans fluid dipstick then refill thru that tube. QED.!