Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Turbo X Sedan manual, all options

Winter Tire Question

What are peoples' feelings on owning a second set of rims for their winter tires? Isn't it possible to simply swap the two sets of tires on one set of wheels/rims? Or does that really depend on the wheel/rim?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    You can use a single set of wheels for 2 sets of tires but it can become a hassle and expensive after a while. Tire change places charge $15-20 per wheel for changing/balancing so if you have to do that twice a year, it'll cost $120 - $160 per year.

I bought my slightly used Saab 16" wheels with winter tires on eBay for $500. Tirerack or Discounttiredirect sell basic alu wheels for $100 or less. You can even buy steel wheels for much less but I don't like the look of those at all. You can often find used wheels on eBay, Craigslist or the forums.

It would only take about 2 years for the cost of new/used wheels versus changing winter and summer tires on the same wheels. I can change wheels with a jack in my own driveway in about 1/2 hour versus driving to the tire changer and wait.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I've got a second set of wheels for my winter tires, they came with the car from the PO. They are just black steelies, nothing fancy... I actually like the look of them with my winter tires and ski rack. Also, I can change them myself when it comes to put the winter tires on, where as everyone else in my family has to pay ~ $50 every year to get their winters put on... plus a little wait time.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    I presume I would still need to get the second set of wheel/tires balanced one time and from that point on swap them at my leisure? (assuming I purchase 17" and the same tire dimensions so as not to adversely affect the speedometer?)
    Last edited by Aaron; 22 September 2010 at 19:55.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Yes, you would only have to balance them once. Many choose a smaller diameter wheel and tire for a winter combo. When the diameter of the wheel is smaller, you compensate with a tire with a higher sidewall so will keep the same outer dimensions and not affect the speedometer.

I assume your 9-3 Aero has 235/45-17 tires? You could fit the standard 16" Saab size of 215/55-16 and have the same outer dimensions. These tires will be a bit narrower so they will cut through snow easier. 16" wheels and tires are usually less expensive as well.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Yes, I think Tire Rack balances them for you if you order both wheels and tires. Also, if your speedometer is off, you'll remember (hopefully). My car with the summer tires on them reads about 10% faster than I'm actually going, and my winters are correct... just something in the back of my head as I drive down the highway wondering if I'm speeding too much.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Shift in topic: Snow tires

What are others' feelings about snow tires? Yesterday, I saw a car with nice Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 tires. Seems a bit early to put them on as it's still in the 50's (10C) at night and the mountain passes are still not cold. Here is my philosophy but I am open to change:

1. Snow tires improves safety over all season tires. It's easier and lazier to use all season tires but I value safety. On the other hand, all season tires are sportier. I am just resigned to utilitarian tires from December to March.

1a. This point is not universally believed. Some say that they use all seasons all year and drive through snow ok. I can attest that summer tires get slippery in cold/wet, not even snow. Twice, I've been caught and I immediately changed to snow tires. Once, I had to go out again that same day and noticed a huge difference after tire change.

2. All season tires are a good choice where it doesn't get cold. Maybe San Francisco-Las Vegas-Atlanta and south. I don't know enough about Australia. Maybe all seasons are ok in Melbourne. Seattle weather is similar to London and Brussels.

3. As far as performance snow tires, my feeling is that they are in between all season and regular snow tires. I tend to pick regular snow tires because in Seattle, they don't use salt and plow few streets. Changing into any snow tire is good since it gives me a good chance to inspect the brakes and things near the wheel well. It also results in a thorough wheel cleaning once a year (the insides of the wheel are difficult to wash otherwise).

4. Among regular snow tires, I might consider the new Bridgestone Blizzak WS70, Continental ExtremeWinterContact, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R, and Michelin X-Ice Xi2. Dunlop and Yokohama also makes reputable snow tires. I used to use studded tires in Ohio but Seattle winters are so mild that the increased braking distances with studs outweigh the improved ice performance.
    Last edited by Dave T; 23 September 2010 at 17:31.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Well on that subject I can say I've done two winters now on all season tires with my car and have had what I would consider to be good winter performance (Boston) and feel safe with the traction control system paired with the all seasons. I grew up in Maine with even more snow and have just always been accustomed to snow driving...there are precautions that you can take that make more of a difference than that of a tire change (acceleration/braking/follow distance/etc).

This does not preclude other drivers from making poor decisions and that is part of my motivation to think about winter/snow tires.

Shane
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t, 2006 9-3 Aero
    An easy way to determine the size of you tires to lessen or eliminate the misleading speedo reads is 1) Tire Dimensions Made Simple - Discount Tire or 2) Tire size calculator These can help decide which tire size will work for you and your existing rims.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    How often will you use the winter tires? Only one winter or do you live somewhere where you will end up using it regularly? A second set of wheels is rather cheap an changing wheels on the driveway is a lot cheaper than taking the car to a shop and having to pay and wait for tires to get swapped.

I have a second set of winter tires for my SAAB on 15" steel rims. The steel rims for SAABs are rather cheap, and you can even buy GM steel wheels which I bet are even cheaper. The steel wheels for a Chevy HHR or Cobalt will fit modern SAABs.