Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)

Lubricating the doors

I thought I read that the doors were permanently lubricated. However, looking at the service and warranty booklet with the car, one of the tasks is to lubricate the doors and trunk. Besides, I'm skeptical of lifetime fluids or lubrication.

Often, if a garage does it, they'll just spray the hinge with lithium grease from far away. Very messy looking. The 9-3, unlike the classic 900, doesn't have a groove on the hinge for lubrication.

What I did today was to use a somewhat longer sewing needle dipped in motor oil and touched the junction of the hinge (top and bottom part of the hinge). Only a tiny microdrop needed and then open and shut the doors a few times. Pulling back the trunk coverings on the right, I did it for the trunk hinge (not the trunk spring). The left side needs more dismantling to access it. Even a microdrop of oil will flow. Perhaps lithium grease is better but a different technique (possibly using a needle to paste the grease?) would be needed because grease doesn't flow and drip like oil.

Lubrication done!

Needed supplies: sewing needle (not long and fat knitting needle), few drops of motor oil, napkin to wipe the needle afterwards. Best done with daylight, not a flashlight in the dark.
    Last edited by Dave T; 27 September 2010 at 22:20.

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    to clean the old, dry grease I use an oil spray and dry with paper cleaner. 3-in-1. with this product it would be enough.
    for more technical you can use a synthetic silicone grease. I apply with a brush and then wipe off the excess.

in the door frame, weather stripping I use liquid glycerin to lubricate applied with a rag and then dry with another dry cloth to clean it, leaving a clean and lubricated weather strips.
    glycerin does not stain and leaves a good look at the rubber.

the rubber does not deteriorate but on the contrary, the renewed like vitamins.

you can use a more expensive product as 3634770 - GM Weatherstrip Lubricant, For weatherstrips, Convertible Top Seal, T-Top Seals, Door Seals 1 Oz Container