Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab Automobile and BMW enter agreement for supply of gasoline engines

Name:  1300794.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  37.7 KB
    From left to right: Jan Åke Jonsson, Ian Robertson, Victor Muller

Trollhättan, Sweden: Today, Saab Automobile and BMW announced an agreement for the supply of engines to be used in next-generation Saab vehicles. Under the purchase, supply and development agreement, BMW will supply Saab with 4-cylinder 1.6 liter turbocharged gasoline engines from 2012. The engines will be adapted to meet Saab’s specific requirements.

The contract was signed on Wednesday in Trollhättan, Sweden. Participating in the signing were Saab Automobile CEO Jan Åke Jonsson, Saab Automobile Chairman Victor Muller and Ian Robertson, Member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, responsible for Sales and Marketing.

Announcing the deal, Saab Automobile CEO Jan Åke Jonsson said: “It gives me great pleasure to confirm this exciting new relationship. BMW’s engines and their fuel savings innovations are widely regarded as a benchmark in the premium segment. We look forward to integrating this technology into our next-generation vehicles in a true Saab way.”

Victor Muller, Chairman of Saab Automobile, said: “This is a major step for Saab on our road to becoming a profitable independent premium car maker. In line with our strategy, we will continue to capitalize on our own engineering expertise while also working with the very best partners. Both parties are open to explore further opportunities as part of this relationship in the future.”

Ian Robertson, Executive Sales and Marketing Director of BMW, added: “We are continuing to expand our powertrain system sales business worldwide as planned as part of our Strategy Number ONE. Today’s agreement marks another important milestone along this route. We are delighted to support Saab with our engine expertise. Our engines have a clear lead over the competition when it comes to fuel consumption, emissions and performance.”

Name:  1300792.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  58.6 KB
    Last edited by nordwulf; 29 September 2010 at 14:35.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Video of the press conference uploaded to the SaabWorld youtube account for easier viewing.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave 37 View Post
    Since the agreement is for a 1.6 turbo, it's possible that the new 9-3 will be a bit smaller, not larger. 1.6T is possibly good for 150-175 hp, 200 hp if it really has a high output.
    The smallest 9-3 engine is a 1.8t with 150hp. I am thinking the new 9-3 is going to be bigger than the current model. More like the size of the first generation 9-5. If they want to introduce the smaller 9-1 or 9-2, the 9-3 can not get any smaller than the current size.

I think the 1.6 BMW engine is going to be one of the petrol engines for the 9-3. I am sure the usual 2.0 engine is going to be offered as well.

Edit: Jan Åke mentioned in the press conference the 1.6 engine will be around 200hp.
    Last edited by nordwulf; 29 September 2010 at 16:53.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    They pick a quality brand! That's good to hear... even though rumors have been out for a while now. I don't really mind what the 9-3 becomes (as in larger or smaller) as long as they offer a smaller hatch like car (think Golf but more upscale, or 1-series hatchback) when I'm in the market for a new car, which hopefully will be once I graduate, and get a decent job.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave 37 View Post
    Hopefully, there will be an oil dipstick, which I like but is absent in many BMWs.
    I think that yellow thing looks like it could be an oil dipstick.

Frank
    Saab(s)

BMW Group wins major order to supply Saab with engines

Press release from BMW

Trollhättan/Munich. The BMW Group has received a major order from Swedish automobile manufacturer Saab to provide petrol engines. The contract for delivery of the engines as of 2012 was signed on Wednesday by Ian Robertson, member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, responsible for Sales and Marketing, and the CEO of Saab Automobile, Jan Åke Jonsson, in Trollhättan in Sweden. The 4-cylinder engine with latest fuel savings technologies is intended for a new Saab model series. Both companies have agreed not to disclose any financial or contract volume details.

“We are continuing to expand our powertrain system sales business worldwide as planned as part of our Strategy Number ONE. Today’s agreement marks another important milestone along this route,” explained Robertson. “We are delighted to support Saab with our engine expertise. Our engines have a clear lead over the competition when it comes to fuel consumption, emissions and performance,” Robertson added.

“It gives me great pleasure to confirm this exciting new relationship. BMW Group’s engines and their fuel savings innovations are widely regarded as a benchmark in the premium segment. We look forward to integrating this technology into our next-generation vehicles in a true Saab way,” noted Jonsson.

The engine, which will feature Start-Stop and other measures designed to reduce emissions and fuel consumption, will be assembled at the BMW Group’s Hams Hall engine plant in the UK.

Engine development and construction are among the BMW Group’s core competences and have shaped the company since it was founded in 1916. Today, the BMW Group has a strong network with a total of 24 production facilities in 13 countries, including three engine plants in Steyr, Austria; Munich, Germany; and Hams Hall, UK.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__2201

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Turbo X Sedan manual, all options
    I just hope that they will still be offering a higher performance option. I hope 2010 wasn't the death of the V6

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Video from Saab with interviews of Jan Åke Jonsson and Victor Muller about the BMW deal and future of Saab.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3SS Aero
    Man, once I heard about the agreement for BMW to make motors I got really excited.

Just think a BMW N54 or N55 twin Turbo straight Six in the 2012 9-3 with XWD. People are getting loads of power out of those motors, like 400whp. That would be an absolute beast. Maybe make it the new Viggen.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    For our French speaking audience. NeufTrois, NeufQuatre et le NeufCinq!

Last edited by nordwulf; 02 October 2010 at 16:23.