Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Saab 9-5 engine air filter replacement/change

Tools needed

• screwdriver/wrench with Torx bit. There should be one in the Saab 9-5 toolkit.
    • wrench/spanner/socket to loosen the bumper the cover

Parts and supplies needed

• Air filter, Saab part number 55560911. This filter is manufactured by Mann. Saab filter on the left, Mann brand filter on the right. You can pay twice as much for the Saab filter with the Saab stamp on it. And they are exactly the same.

Name:  P1040418.jpg
Views: 19040
Size:  75.8 KB

Difficulty rating (1-5): 1 - Easy

Time estimate: 15 minutes

Instructions:

The air filter box is located in front of the right front wheel and needs to be accessed from the bottom.

Name:  P1030886.jpg
Views: 18805
Size:  63.9 KB

You can access the filter box without raising the car but car ramps will make it much easier. Remove the 4 screws from the filter box to access the filter. You may have to undo the bolt (blue arrow) which supports the fender so it can be pushed out a little bit. This depends on the year and model.

Name:  P1090902.jpg
Views: 20060
Size:  75.8 KB

Replace filter and tighten screws/bolts.
    Last edited by nordwulf; 03 October 2010 at 17:27.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Sportcombi/2003 9-3 Arc
    Wulf,

Have you ever used a S&B drop in air fliter from Genuine SAAB?

I already put one in, but I am just curious if there is a faction of SAAB owners that have used it and did not like it for some reason. It has increased the air flow to my car by a noticable amount, which concerns me a bit. Am I letting too much into the engine? I figured it was sold on Genuine SAAB so it must pass some test.

What say you all?
    Sell Crazy Somewhere Else

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I only used the standard filter so I can't really comment. But as you mentioned, the guys from GS usually know what they are talking about so I don't think it would harm the engine.

Info from GenuineSaab:

S&B Drop-In Sport Filter. Reusable For all 9-5 models including V6 and Aero. Fits inside stock box. Custom made to have larger filter area than the K&N Same dimensions as the original with deeper pleats giving a huge filter area. Use with the snorkel for best gains.
    http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=450

Name:  95dropinSB.jpg
Views: 18457
Size:  33.4 KB

Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-5 2.3T Seden
    When they say "best used with upgraded snorkel" Does that mean that this upgraded snorkel works on a 2006 9-5 Aero? It says in description that its good for 1998-2003 but i read some people using this on 04+

Also does the S&B fit the stock airbox? I dont want an open air one

Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-5 2.3T Seden
    Quote Originally Posted by frank2029 View Post
    When they say "best used with upgraded snorkel" Does that mean that this upgraded snorkel works on a 2006 9-5 Aero? It says in description that its good for 1998-2003 but i read some people using this on 04+

Also does the S&B fit the stock airbox? I dont want an open air one

Anyone?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan
    04' and up have a larger diameter snorkel.

I have the S&B filter in both of my Saab's in their stock air boxes. This filter flows great and the car feels like it has a little more grunt to it.

Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-5 2.3T Seden
    Quote Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
    04' and up have a larger diameter snorkel.

I have the S&B filter in both of my Saab's in their stock air boxes. This filter flows great and the car feels like it has a little more grunt to it.
    Thanks man! Appreciate the info

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Arc Wagon 3.0T
    Looking to use either the S&B drop in (GenuineSaab.com) or the K&N high flow (http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=311). I'm wondering if people have experienced a lot more benefit from the K&N high flow filter over the S&B. I don't like how the K&N is seemingly exposed to the elements and is a bit more work to install, but more than happy to put in extra time and effort if it gives you measurably better output than the S&B and if people aren't experiencing any adverse effects of the filter being "exposed". Thanks in advance for sharing any of your thoughts.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 ARC 2.3T wagon
    I turned out the 4 screws and took off the fender fastener but couldn't get the cover to come off completely. I didn't want to force it and then have one of those "oops" moments. The front edge, where the little tab is located drops away fine, but the back edge seems to be hung up on something. Is there another lip that the cover hooks onto ?

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    Make sure all four screws, particularly those closest to where the cover seems hung up, are fully retracted. They are captive to the cover so you can't drop one in the storm sewer. The cover also gently snaps onto the body of the filter housing so it may need to be pryed free. There are four fingers on the inside of the cover which extend up into the center core of the filter. You need to wiggle and pull on the cover for the filter to drop free, the fingers to slide out of the filter core, the cover to un-snap from the body.

Just remember to keep your mouth closed, otherwise when the cover suddenly pops free the filter will smack you in the face and a dead moth will land in your throat.