Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    99 2.3ltr 9-5 sedan

o2 sensors & more

Hi guys,

I have an 99 saab 9-5 2.3lpt.
    Done the sump drop a few weeks ago and seem to be having a few small issues since.
    Check engine light came on driving home on the highway several days ago, generally the car seems to run ok.

had a check for codes today, and it came up with p0133, slow response o2 sensor. Now, which sensor, im unsure, and i believe there to be just the two sensors on the exhaust, aswell as the crankshaft sensor.
    ANYONE actually know which one it is? I have figured out atleast that I need the 4 wire sensor, and that I am definatly getting the universal one (saab wants to take all my money AND my wallet, AND my first born )....
    Also, there seems to be No helpful directions for 9-5 owners as to correct removal and installation. Again, ANYONE have info on this?

I have a niggly feeling as to the Diverter Valve also for some reason. Id love to change it but am having no luck as to where I can source an aftermarket one, it seems that the forge motorsport is the one to go for from what I have found out. I am in Toronto if anyone can point me in the right direction........

Boost seems to be ok, turbo was replaced around 5 weeks ago, pcv unit has been ok'd by Aktive motors, and they also changed spark plugs and done something about it running lean (just deviation,no codes at that time though)

there is also a strange noise under gradual acceleration from around 2500rpm thru to about 3000rpm ish. It sounds like the noise a manual car makes when being driven in to high a gear at a slow speed, thats about the best way I can describe it. Its not really a knock or ping noise I guess, but I could be mistaken. Car otherwise feels fine if I 'drop the hammer' .

Any help is greatly appreciated as you can imagine, anything i can do myself is more money towards other important stuff, and I'd rather not lose any love for our Saab,

Thanks guys

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I found this and it looks like it is the front sensor. The Saab WIS doesn't show any info on this particular P0133 code. Did you try to clear the code and see if it comes back?

The sensor seems pretty easy to replace. This looks like the front sensor but the WIS doesn't specifically state that. Here are the instructions from the WIS:
    http://saabworld.net/showthread.php/...eplacement-WIS

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    99 2.3ltr 9-5 sedan
    Thanks wulf, chances are I will just purchase a universal sensor and fit, great info once again!
    Any idea as to the diverter valve? I think i am beginning to hear a hoot sound, its loudish and intermittant at the moment...

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I am not familiar with diverter valves but GenuineSaab in the US usually has a good selection of aftermarket parts. They have the Forge you mentioned:
    http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=463

I think they ship to any country.

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles

Universal sensores can be a bad idea

Saab doesn't make these sensors, they use a Bosch brand with a specific connector on the end of the cable. These Bosch sensors can be sourced from a number of suppliers.

The issue with the universal sensors is that you must cut and splice the 4 wires leading to the sensor head. These wires carry milli-amp or milli-volt signals which can easily be distorted/weakened by a poor splice. A future sensor failure code may be nothing more than a bad splice - a lot of headaches (and maintenance/repair costs) for saving a few dollars now on the replacement part.

The correct Saab specific Bosch sensor is ~$88 at eEuroparts. I see that AZ wants nearly $105 for the properly terminated sensor versus ~$65 for the universal, but I still recommend the eEuro part with free shipping and their usual rapid delivery. I also see that Dealer list for this part is over $250, Yikes!